Pioneer 'bullitt' Mustang 390 Gt Review

manic35

I've just completed my review of Pioner's 'Bullitt' Mustang - What a slot car, hands down my pic for Best Slot Car of 2009!

The Bullitt’s body is attached to the chassis via 6 screws (2 of the screws attach to the internal drivers tray) and can be quickly removed for adjustment and then easily assembled. The Bullitt is Digital Plug Ready ‘DPR’ and uses Scalextric Easy Fit Digital Plug, (reference part C8515) which can be quickly plugged in converting the car to digital although I did not test this as I have an analogue setup.

Let me make something clear from the start, this is a very quick slot! I’m not just talking about a slot that is quick down the straights, but a slot that is just as quick through technical, challenging sections of my layout (this slot eats reverse curves for breakfast!) This slot has been made for racing and with a name like ‘Bullitt’ that is a relief!

First impressions are very important and on the track the Bullitt Mustang is instantly impressive and very smooth. Basically I removed the slot from the box, put it on the track and I had a winner. No adjustment of braids, no correction of rear axle slop, no truing of tires, the Bullitt is truly a ‘ready to run’ slot car.

Speaking of first impressions, the stance of the Bullitt sitting on the track is awesome. Pioneer took a huge risk in my opinion making this car, the Bullitt Mustang is a cult car and nothing short of a perfect representation of the 1:1 car would have been accepted by fans.

My local hobby store currently has diecast models of the Bullitt Mustang and these static models have not captured the 1:1 car accurately, it’s amazing that a slot car has. Speaking with Jules, Pioneer estimates that around 30% of sales of the Bullitt have gone to people that don’t even have a slot car track! An amazing achievement in itself but it got me thinking; have Pioneer created a slot that will bring new members to this hobby we love so much?

I have always been a fan of street cars but the Bullitt isn’t really a street car is it? Once Pioneer release the Dodge Charger this street car becomes a race car, it’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing and that makes it very exciting.

Straight off the bat with less than 10 laps on board, the Bullit was running low 6 second laps. Any slot that runs 6 seconds on my track is very impressive. I wanted to see what the Bullitt was capable of, I decided to true the rear rubber which removed the detailed tire tread patterns, (fortunately the Bullitt comes with a spare set). I'd say that 90 percent of the rear rubber was in contact with the track FTB. As you would expect, track performance improved a little post truing.

The rest of the review is on my site, see below fo link.

• Upvote 1

Dang!! Is Jules and Manic35 one in the same person? I want to be on the payroll as well Jules :D

Jules ya gotta be happy with that review me old cheese.

Must buy me one of those cars. :( :(

You could probably wait til you get through your pile of silver and green 'development demos' rick, surely something else on you wishlist first :D

Chris

H.M.C.C

I keep sending Jules emails for the new slotit Mazda, for test purposes mind you, but he hasnt got back to me :P:lol: Damn just have to keep thrashing my silver bullitt until something breaks. :lol:

Well finally got the green bullitt onto Hoffy's track, encased in bubble wrap much to everyones amusement. I took a guess how much weight it needed, wasnt far off. The car is as smooth as silk to drive, actually REAL nice. Tyres are not suited to Ferradore and it was lacking grip. A good lap in a T/A car is around 5.1 which I did with the "other" T/A car. That has had about 2 years of fine tuning to get it there. I said Id be happy "out of the box" if I got it within 0.5 seconds of the "other" T/A car. It was doing 5.6 s laps. So its about where I was expecting it to be first up. On the plus side it was so smooth to drive and you just couldnt deslot the thing. No chatter and very smooth punching out of corners. Soon as I brew up some FabiO tyres to suit the Stang and suited to Ferradore it should be right on the money. Should be right in the 5-5.1 s bracket.

Bring on those race liveries Jules. Cant wait. :)

Jules all this development work doesnt come cheap mate!! Send over another box of those silver bullitt mate!! :lol: Im going through them at an incedible rate.

cheers

rick1776

Rick1776

Don't forget to use up all the Black Bullitts I sent you before you start on the silver ones.

When you test the Golden Bullitt, don't forget it's real gold plated so it's a little heavier than normal paint so you'll need to allow for that.

Ferradore? Is that an Italian brand of track?

Manic35

I'm very pleased you liked the Bullitt Model. Your images are First Class, by the way. The shining headlights on the pic with the black/white background - is that a hint?

The 1967/68 Mustang was also available as a 'Notchback' or 'Coupe'. Be nice to see some slot models of those racing one day. They used to race in the Trans Am series, you know. Very good they were.

Jules

I have have seen Rick furiously ounting his bubble wrapped car around at Hoffys and as he was in the lane next to me he was indeed a little concerned about getting nerfed. I lined him up a couple of times but he managed to use a different braking point and avoid trouble. I have a query re the motor as it looks more like one from the makers of scaleauto motors than standard mabuchi like scalextric fly etc. What are the torque values of the motor I am guessing geared 3:1 it is a bit higher than a standard black stripe??? Also are they available after market??? or in bulk packs for clubs etc. I ask as the motor is both can and endbell drive so it would make a great standard motor spec being able to be used in pretty much any car.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

FCC,

The motor has mabuchi dimensions so in that respect it would be a drop in replacement. It is rated at 18K but I think it has a bee's dick more stall torque than the Mabuchi. However I dont think theres a lot in it Trevor. I think I know who is making the motors but even Jules wont tell me and Im sure there are good reasons for that. You'd be surprised at how many "spies" frequent these forums.

I think Jules has every intention of having a range of aftermarket parts.....eventually. Not sure of the timing though. I think the guy is living on 3 hours sleep at the moment getting these cars to market. Youd be amazed at some of the times I get emails from him. Mate I wish I could swing a special deal and get a truck load of motors off him but the bugger wouldnt even tell me the stunt drivers names for the Bullitt comp on that "other" forum. He plays with a very straight bat does Jules. Cant fault him for that.

cheers

rick1776

my new bullit car rocks it has become my favorite car but it could have more guts on long straights my longest straight is 40 feet long and it goes into a steep #3 banked curve carrera track my track is so fast you snap guide keels going into the curves

What you need to do is buy yourself an Aussie V8 supercar and head up to Freeport Il. Then you can race with JohnnyFly. At the moment Johnny's only race patner is his little son Tiny. And thats not really a fair fight as Tiny keeps kicking Johns butt. :P:)

You two guys could then be the only North American franchise running V8SC. Ask John how whell those FabiO prepared V8SC's go. They handle like theyre on magnets!!....and no theyre not running magnets.

Ahh motor sport, youre already looking to go faster. What you want is Pioneer's 23K upgrade motor!!

cheers

rick1776

freeport huh well i will have to see how far that is from me ill take the twins amanda and natalie and we will give tiny a run, at this moment my fastest car is a blue revell 62 corvette with some carrera parts added it has my track record 36 laps in 10 minutes my track is over 170 feet per lane lots of curves

FCC,

The motor has mabuchi dimensions so in that respect it would be a drop in replacement. It is rated at 18K but I think it has a bee's dick more stall torque than the Mabuchi. However I dont think theres a lot in it Trevor. I think I know who is making the motors but even Jules wont tell me and Im sure there are good reasons for that. You'd be surprised at how many "spies" frequent these forums.

The motor is an fc130 to be precise same dimensions as what is commonly called a mabuchi. No great secrets on motors mate the Slot it ones are made by sun the fly and scalextric are made by mabuchi. I think Jules has posted earlier that the customer orders motors at a certain "spec" and the manufacturer makes them for you. NSR and the newer spec scaleauto as well as many MB slot motors come wit balanced coms as do some slot it motors but not all. I just think being a motor that drives from either end if it becomes "allowable" in a club then it could be a great standard motor because it can be used in any car that uses an fc130 powerplant. NSR pods are can drive only as are most pro slot chassis whilst scalextric and slot its are endbell drive. Too much is made about motors in terms of performance characteristics, What is important is that all competitors start with a level playing field. Contrast the performance of the ff f1 motors compared to the standard black stripe. Given that motors are very inexpensive per unit to the customer usually around a dollar a unit if what i was told is true and i think it is. A bulk pack option could be a good deal for all concerned.

Scalextric standard “black stripe”, Sport (FC-130) 18,000 RPM/12v; tested 20,577-22,300 RPM/12v

est. 75 gcm/12v, est. 3.9W/12v

Scalextric F1 (FF-050) 18,000 RPM/12v, tested 22,861 RPM/12v

tested 147 gcm/12v, tested 8.3W/12v

Is it any wonder they go better?? Double the power.

Edited by first corner crash

4x national champion 6x national runner up. I come second most often but my girlfriends happy.

You're right gazza. It wasn't. The special treat on tonight's menu was fresh water crab. Only available at certain times of the year, this unfortunate creature is regarded as a seasonal delicacy and restricted to one per person because of scarcity. This unusual eating procedure is to break off all the legs, expose the belly and suck out the orange guts. I have to admit a rather tasty and unusual experience for a bloke that's normally quite choosy about his pizza toppings.

Jules

I have to admit a rather tasty and unusual experience for a bloke that's normally quite choosy about his pizza toppings.

Just as well you didn't have it on pizza then.

How are things faring on the current project?

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

It's ready...........nearly.........now.........hold on, what's wrong with that wheel.........change that........good........ready..........excellent..........errr............no, I said blue!..........OK.........ready........no, not Steve McQueen as driver..........no.........number 31 NOT 13.......OK........change that.........what size is that rear tyre...........should be 21.3mm not 23.1mm.......change that.........looks very nice.......ok.......let's test one........hmmm.........did you connect wires to motor?.......use soldering iron.....do it again.............I know what I like and I like what I know. This will be the best T/A slot car ever made........probably.

Jules

Talk about things that seem like a really good idea and then turn around and bite you in the derriere.

So. Jules. What's next on the list? A little holiday? A small peaceful room with no windows, lots of padding and you huddled on the floor in the corner rocking quietly? ;)

Seeing as everyone has Pioneer cars on their Christmas list... What's on yours?

Cheers

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

So. Jules. What's next on the list? A little holiday? A small peaceful room with no windows, lots of padding and you huddled on the floor in the corner rocking quietly? ;)

Cheers

Embs

Embs dont give him ideas of this holiday business, least not until the charger arrives.

Thanks

Greg

Ember, for Christmas, I must not have anything or see anything made of plastic, rubber or metal. It is called PRM disorder.

I have not gone mad yet but strange things are happening. Just this morning, at breakfast, the toast smelt of plastic. Also, I was adding sugar lumps to my coffee but……they were not sugar lumps, they were rubber tyres, small 23mm tyres, not 21mm. One tyre, two tyres…..

I have locked myself into the hotel room today. I must not go out. I must not look at T**es. I can’t even write the word anymore.

There is a conspiracy going on. Yes, it’s Slotgate. An unknown bunch of rivals have got together, they know where I am. They know I am weakened and will try to finish me off. If I try to go out of my room, I shall see shadowy figures of people I recognise from the forums. I shall chase them and catch them and when I turn them around it will not be them. “Sorryâ€, I shall say, “I though it was rick1776â€.

Is rick1776 a good guy?

I will probably go to the mini bar, open it up and it will be stacked with slot car items from all different makers at crazy prices. One chassis or two? $20 each. Ouch. A little packet of 20 guides made to look like a cheesy biscuit snack. Motors packaged up like chocolates. Shall I see if I can steal a slot.it motor? Will they notice? I could take a slot.it motor out of the packet and swap it for the cheaper Scaley Mabuchi. Is the mini bar checking person savvy enough to suss me out? I don’t know.

Later, slipped underneath the hotel room door will be something that looks like a day bill. I shall open the envelope and inside will be an invitation to meet someone in the underground car park. Should I go? What will I find out? There is a small blue van parked outside in the street. It says ‘Acme Chinese Laundry’ on the side. It’s been there since Wednesday night.

Jules

Is rick1776 a good guy ?

;):lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some say good old Rick........................... others may tell the truth

no actually he's orright.

Edited by lenny broke

Ember, for Christmas, I must not have anything or see anything made of plastic, rubber or metal. It is called PRM disorder.

I have not gone mad yet but strange things are happening. Just this morning, at breakfast, the toast smelt of plastic. Also, I was adding sugar lumps to my coffee but……they were not sugar lumps, they were rubber tyres, small 23mm tyres, not 21mm. One tyre, two tyres…..

I have locked myself into the hotel room today. I must not go out. I must not look at T**es. I can’t even write the word anymore.

There is a conspiracy going on. Yes, it’s Slotgate. An unknown bunch of rivals have got together, they know where I am. They know I am weakened and will try to finish me off. If I try to go out of my room, I shall see shadowy figures of people I recognise from the forums. I shall chase them and catch them and when I turn them around it will not be them. “Sorryâ€, I shall say, “I though it was rick1776â€.

Is rick1776 a good guy?

I will probably go to the mini bar, open it up and it will be stacked with slot car items from all different makers at crazy prices. One chassis or two? $20 each. Ouch. A little packet of 20 guides made to look like a cheesy biscuit snack. Motors packaged up like chocolates. Shall I see if I can steal a slot.it motor? Will they notice? I could take a slot.it motor out of the packet and swap it for the cheaper Scaley Mabuchi. Is the mini bar checking person savvy enough to suss me out? I don’t know.

Later, slipped underneath the hotel room door will be something that looks like a day bill. I shall open the envelope and inside will be an invitation to meet someone in the underground car park. Should I go? What will I find out? There is a small blue van parked outside in the street. It says ‘Acme Chinese Laundry’ on the side. It’s been there since Wednesday night.

Jules

Jules, it's no wonder you make such a good slot car mate, you have one hell of a creative side!!!