69 replies to this topic

#41 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for the comment bandit :)

Hahahah nah don't worry Neil you'll be right, it's a hardish track to learn but judging from the ppl I've had around so far it does take complete rookies a little while to pick it up but thats why they invented magnets! Anyone who has driven slot cars before generally picks it up in about 20 laps or so and is doing around 30 second laps after that time, a hot lap is like 24-25 seconds... Plus at 1.7m wide (u can reach 3/4 they way across) & only one driver at a time marshalling will never be a problem :)

Thought I'd do a quick pic update as well...

Once I had the layout I was happy with I made lots of extra runoff so they cars can slide past the width of the track without de-slotting. After lots of testing I made these extra bits which make a huge difference from tip toeing through the corner to a nice power slide...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Once that was all done it was time for paint, I glued the track down and no more gapped every join & sanded them sooth then painted...

Posted Image

Time for scenery to start, the Zig Zag after paint before rocks

Posted Image

I did the expanda foam rocks, can't beat it for ease of use or price I reckon, $10 a can!

This is what it looks like when it first comes out, you gotta make sure you don't put it hard up against the edge as by the time it expands it will obviously be on the track...

Posted Image

Posted Image

After about 20-30mins, starting to rise...

Posted Image

Once it's risen and all dry I started with black paint to get in all the cracks...

Posted Image

Then I painted it brown, then dry brushed, light brown and light light brown, added grass and bushes etc

Posted Image

When it's drying you can mould it how you want, push it back in, cut holes in it etc With some bits I pulled at it when it was tacky with paddle pop sticks and you can get a more rough effect this way. I went for large smooth roack because this is what the rock is like on the actual zig zag.

Posted Image

Posted Image

A word about the foam, wear gloves or use paddle pop sticks to touch the foam, don't ever touch it! I'm a painter by trade and I have every solvent & goo remover on the market and I can tell you the ONLY thing that gets this foam it off your skin is time.... :lol:

Made a dunny & a water tank this week...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also made some road and advertising signs...

Posted Image

A few are in place already...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Am getting there, still got plenty to do though....
I Miss Brocky...

#42 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:52 AM

If you're going to have an Old Spice sign surely you need a white horse somewhere nearby. :)

The little touches like road signs make so much difference to the liveliness of a track.

Embs
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#43 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:11 PM

Quick scenery update....

Water tank, dunny & chook shed now in place...

Posted Image

Posted Image

From the other side

Posted Image

Got a bull now...

Posted Image

A road sign & I started adding more ground cover & bushes details...

Posted Image

Made a small cutting with flowers...

Posted Image

Added some wildflowers & a heap of animals arrived....

Posted Image

From the other end

Posted Image
I Miss Brocky...

#44 Captain

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

Nice work Ira.

Roads signs look great. Everything is comming along - it takes time though, doesn't it. Some days / nights you could be working for hrs to find you've only done a small patch.

If I could make one bit of criticism... it would be to thin your livestock out a little - some areas look a little much with the animals - but up to you... more targets for everyone else :D

...And poor daisy the cows paddock could be a little larger. :) ... Sorry, just re-read it was a bull.

On the whole, it is looking like a lot of work is going in and your turning out a great WA scenic rally track.

Nice work.

#45 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:35 PM

Reckon the RSPCA might be after you fairly soon. Like Kirk says a bit much livestock in confined spaces. It becomes a bit of a cartoon. Which, to me, cheapens what you've done on the rest of it.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#46 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:50 PM

None of the animals are glued down & I just posed them in that posi for the sake of the shot, the sheep will be spread out on the other hill & I don't know if I will glue them down as it's been more interesting to move them around so they aren't always in the same place. But yeah I don't actually have loads of scenery space anyway as I packed as much track into the space as I could :)

It's kinda hard to appreciate it just thro pics as well, it's much better in real life.
I Miss Brocky...

#47 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:01 PM

View Postsilver rocket, on Nov 15 2010, 10:50 PM, said:

It's kinda hard to appreciate it just thro pics as well, it's much better in real life.
That's a fair call. Shame it's so far away.

Posted Image

#48 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

View Postsilver rocket, on Nov 15 2010, 07:50 PM, said:

None of the animals are glued down & I just posed them in that posi for the sake of the shot, the sheep will be spread out on the other hill & I don't know if I will glue them down as it's been more interesting to move them around so they aren't always in the same place. But yeah I don't actually have loads of scenery space anyway as I packed as much track into the space as I could :D

Don't listen to them Ira! They're all jealous that they haven't got that much livestock in their top paddock :lol: :lol: Hope to see you Saturday!
West Australian Slot Car Racing Group
web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com
email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com
mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

#49 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

Hey Syd. No jealousy here. There's more than a few roos lose here,...well wallabies, and a pair of goats and a couple of foxes. But you could already tell that, cos I choose this forum to hang out. :lol:;

Posted Image

#50 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:31 PM

View PostEmber, on Nov 15 2010, 08:29 PM, said:

Hey Syd. No jealousy here. There's more than a few roos lose here,...well wallabies, and a pair of goats and a couple of foxes. But you could already tell that, cos I choose this forum to hang out. :lol:;
That's a common thread amonst all of us here isn't it!?

#51 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 10:53 PM

Ira,

Dwellingup, Harvey, Bannister, Collie.............you only need to add Waroona and Pinjarra and you have the complete set of inbred hick towns of WA (for the record, Kirk and I are from Waroona but we are frsh DNA to the town)!

Agree with Kirk and Embs on the live stock.

....I also like the heinz tin!!! Did you have to down the bake beans for dinner or was that one of the wippa snappas? Dunny and dog kennel look spot on also

Lookin good Shazza! (quote from some bogan light beer add that was on a couple of years ago!)

Dave

Edited by GTR XU-1, 15 November 2010 - 10:55 PM.

#52 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

A quick up date...

A mate of mine put this plug Syd gave me in so now that is all sorted...

Posted Image

Upgraded the power supply to this so I can vary the volts for kids & adults etc...

Posted Image

Track testing today was held up for a short time... :D

Posted Image

I added about 30 trees and am starting to finish areas off...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Added a workshop which will have men welding eventually...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The track also now has kart hire :D

Posted Image

The locals got two new dirt bikes...

Posted Image

Helipad has been moved to southern loop for final construction

Posted Image

Thats all for now....

Edited by silver rocket, 19 December 2010 - 06:26 PM.

I Miss Brocky...

#53 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 07:05 PM

Looking good Ira, I'll be able to use one of my controllers there now. :rolleyes:

#54 GTR XU-1

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 11:15 AM

Looking good Ira!!

.....Just hope the helicopter pilot isnt 'crazy' enough to have a fly whilst the rally is going on!!!

That sheppard might want to be a little more careful with his sheep to...might have to fit a bull bar to the front of my car!!!

Dave

#55 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 12:19 PM

Funny you should say that Dave, while my track is getting close to finished it's not quite there yet but I had my first visitors around last night for a spin, Syd & Steve, James and a mate. Syd was the first to officially take some livestock down spearing off coming out of the esses and he took out two cows and a big ladder :P

The track was running pretty good and I think Syd liked it, he & Steve were like roos in headlights for thge first few laps just trying to work out where the bloody track goes! :D It's not the easiest track to learn but it only took James about 3-5 times & he is within a second of me now so...

Syd liked my non-mag, RWD Fiat the best I think, its fun to drive my fav car so far, lots of drifting once you get the hang of it.

Had one small hiccup with the recent heat closing the rail gaps on two corners but it only started doing it aftere everyone had done plenty of laps and I've fixed it this morning with some match sticks in the rails, the misses hair dryer and some glue in a syringe. Spread the gaps out & then glued it in place via the syringe straight into the track, it's dry already and I ran a ninco guide round it no worries, its nice to be ironing out the last small bugs. Boy doesn't plastic have a personality all of it's own though! It's a living, breathing beast :D Once you understand it it's all good but yeah it does need some love.

The next stage "Gymkhana" is going to be wood routed - braid though, it's already marked out & Syd gave it the stamp of approval last night so construction will prolly begin in Feb sometime... :ph34r:
I Miss Brocky...

#56 Syd

Syd

• Auslotters
  • PipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:10 PM

Had a great night Ira and the track drives as good as it looks. I can't wait to try my Porsche now that the rail problem has been fixed. I'll see if I can find some lights for your room to sort out the lighting :D .I will have to sort out a few more cars to race as well. Catch up next Saturday night and don't forget to bring some projects with you ;)

#57 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 02:27 PM

Glad you liked it Syd, yeah we will get them running on there no worries even if we have to just make up a mod guide, guides are cheap enough...

Yeah I think when I'm not using the track I'll just keep some match sticks in those spots to offer some resistance to the expanding and only take them out to use it. Can't see why this won't fix it for good, it will only be a problem for maybe a few months a year anyway here...

See ya on Saturday...
I Miss Brocky...

#58 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:55 PM

Hey Syd, I did quite a few laps tonight with the 15ohm and yeah it's growing on me, I think I like it, I shoulda grabbed the 25 for the week as well to compare, I might get both anyway but yeah the 15 is nice...
I Miss Brocky...

#59 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:06 AM

It's been a "while" since my last update ;) what can I say, it's been a busy year! :D

Anyway it's getting close to being finished now, there is a few things left to do, the backgrounds on the side boards, the water needs a few more coats & a few bits here & there but generally the main scenery is nearly done...

I've done a quick preview vid which is uploading now and took some pics today just on the misses cheap camera for now so the quality isn't great but its okay, once it's all done I'll make a proper video and take some good pics on my good digital SLR when it's done...

Okay here is a basic wide shot so you know where everything is etc...

Posted Image

From the other end

Posted Image

Looking towards the esses and the pine forrest, the background here will be a pine plantation

Posted Image

Looking from the Heli Pad side, Heli pad has working flashing LED's...

Posted Image

The Zig Zag, start & workshop overveiw, the background at this end will be a sunset

Posted Image

The middle section overview...

Posted Image

The roadworks chicane with flashing orange LED sign, also a working campfire in the background also with working flashing LED's...

Posted Image

The fire up close

Posted Image
Wide shot

Posted Image

Round the back of the house

Posted Image

Front yard

Posted Image

Back yard

Posted Image

Sniper :ph34r:

Posted Image

This background will be a grandstand with crowd, the Monster Energy stun team will be keeping the crowd entertained with back flips etc ;)

Posted Image

Deep in the pine forrest... :ph34r:

Posted Image

Graffiti on the bridge pylons, bloody kids...

Posted Image

One of the drains, water still to be finished...

Posted Image

The rear of the drain...

Posted Image

Crash scene on the Zig Zag loop

Posted Image

The workshop with welding LED's that also flash like a welder...

Posted Image

Rear of the workshop

Posted Image

Zig Zag wide shot

Posted Image

Zig Zag detail...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hand painted roos

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'll post the video up tomorrow
I Miss Brocky...

#60 silver rocket

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:44 AM

Here is the video, quality is a bit crappy but it gives you the idea, I'll do a better one....

I Miss Brocky...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users