Perth Hills Rally Track

silver rocket

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be too pointed Ira, but the question was asked on Feb 19.....

Being April 27 now....and with full respect that you are a busy bloke so ....Hows the track going?

Dave

Yeah it's going good :D

:alcohol:

In all seriousness I haven't posted an update as it seemed to bring a lot of criticism, not technical enough, then it was too technical, no elevation changes then too many etc etc I was kinda over it so I thought maybe I'll just wait till it's all done & then I'll put something up....

In the meantime I got a table made to a bigger size, max I could fit in my shed space, its about 1 m longer than the old table tennis table & a touch wider, its now 4m by 1.8m, added track, I've copper taped, sorted timing & started on scenery, painting the track etc. I don't know how long a lap is in metres cause I haven't measured it yet but a good lap is about 27secs and while it's running pretty good now it should get better as it runs in more and I think low 20's will be the norm soon...

You will have to come round sometime...

I Miss Brocky...

There's always going to be differing opinions on what you should and shouldn't do, but only one person that you've really got to kekep happy.... You!

I'm really hanging to see what you've done with the track though. We plastic peeps have got to stick together.

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

• 5 months later...

Okay I thought it was about time I posted an update.... :(

I wanted to wait till the track was 100% finished but it seems I can't help myself! ;)

It may look finished but I still have lots to do scenery wise, water tanks, signs, water & a small lake, lights etc and I have to put the sides on etc but yeah it's getting there!

Stats

My track is on a board 1.7m by 4m and one lap is about 30m of track and takes about 25-30 seconds, one lap has 45 turns, 12 chicanes, 25 straights, 2 bridge crossings, 18 hairpins, 11 of which are bak to bak...

It has three different surfaces, approx 35% SCX (bitumen), 25% SCX Ice Effects (WA pea gravel), 35% Scaly Sport (dirt) & 5% is painted to look like concrete pavement which is SCX...

I'm very happy with how it's come out, one good lap is bloody hard to do! Its got tight stuff, flowy stuff, the zig zag (the 11 back to back hairpins) is so much fun to drive when you get into the groove, it's got a mini cutting coming off the bridge....

I've found that the cars slide just like wood and it has real rally drifting with no mags and just weight added along with MJK's... You can sorta tell from the pics, I did my best but I need to do a video so you can see it properly...

Anyway after weeks (months) of playing this is the final layout I came up with, if you had of told me how hard it was to link a full lap like this I would have laughed at you! But yeah glad I took the time cause it has a bit of everything...

12-4.jpg

From the other end...

11-5.jpg

and now..... (like I said still lots to do but you get the idea)....

22a.jpg

Start finish line & Zig Zag in the background...

13-2.jpg

14-2.jpg

Zig Zag...

15-2.jpg

16-2.jpg

17-1.jpg

18-1.jpg

The esses and the slippery bit (SCX Ice Effects) you have to tip toe like the car is running on marbles! The southern return loop will have a lake in the middle there...

19-1.jpg

20-1.jpg

This chicane will be the road works area when it's finished...

21-2.jpg

Edited by silver rocket

I Miss Brocky...

I should have mentioned it is based on a Rally Australia theme when it was here in WA, the Zig Zag, the pine trees, the slippery gravel etc...

Hey Ira that looks Fantastic!

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

:( I'm impressed. I wanna play! Tempted to send my fave SCX rally car over to see how it handles the run. 'Cept I'm not sure I could do without the Skoda for a couple of weeks.

Interested to know how much noticable difference with the "Ice effects" track running non-mag? I understood that the main idea was that the non magnetic rails were noticably different for magna-traction cars. Is there a noticable difference in the texture as well?

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Yes it's a different type of plastic, much smoother than the normal stuff it doesnt have the rough stuff its totally smooth, kinda like really smooth scaly sport... Plus I no more gapped EVERY join on the track and glued it all down flat, this extra love does make a difference...

I must do a vid casue you won't believe how they drift on it...

I Miss Brocky...

Cheers thanks Dave...

All that scenery stuff you gave me came in very handy! cheers :(

When I get a chance I'll post progressive pics but yeah the rocks are all expanda foam, so cheap & easy to use you can't go wrong with it, painted black first then dry brushed with dark brown, then light brown then white. Sprinkled grass and put bushes on & they come up awesome, two cans of the foam cost me $20 & did all the rocks on my track.

I've got a few small jobs to do, gotta to fit a new plug and put the sides on and then it should be ready for some racing love! Can't wait... ;)

I Miss Brocky...

Yo Ira , track looks wicked mate, great details and very challenging, I reckon i could set a world record of deslotting on every corner, 25 to 30 minute laps for me :P

Here is a list of problems I see with it though, but can be easily fixed!

1: It's not at my house.

So i'll see ya soon with my trailer,

Onya, Neil.

Thanks for the comment bandit :)

Hahahah nah don't worry Neil you'll be right, it's a hardish track to learn but judging from the ppl I've had around so far it does take complete rookies a little while to pick it up but thats why they invented magnets! Anyone who has driven slot cars before generally picks it up in about 20 laps or so and is doing around 30 second laps after that time, a hot lap is like 24-25 seconds... Plus at 1.7m wide (u can reach 3/4 they way across) & only one driver at a time marshalling will never be a problem :)

Thought I'd do a quick pic update as well...

Once I had the layout I was happy with I made lots of extra runoff so they cars can slide past the width of the track without de-slotting. After lots of testing I made these extra bits which make a huge difference from tip toeing through the corner to a nice power slide...

25.jpg

24-2.jpg

23-1.jpg

26-1.jpg

Once that was all done it was time for paint, I glued the track down and no more gapped every join & sanded them sooth then painted...

27.jpg

Time for scenery to start, the Zig Zag after paint before rocks

28.jpg

I did the expanda foam rocks, can't beat it for ease of use or price I reckon, $10 a can!

This is what it looks like when it first comes out, you gotta make sure you don't put it hard up against the edge as by the time it expands it will obviously be on the track...

29-1.jpg

30-1.jpg

After about 20-30mins, starting to rise...

32.jpg

Once it's risen and all dry I started with black paint to get in all the cracks...

33-3.jpg

Then I painted it brown, then dry brushed, light brown and light light brown, added grass and bushes etc

34.jpg

When it's drying you can mould it how you want, push it back in, cut holes in it etc With some bits I pulled at it when it was tacky with paddle pop sticks and you can get a more rough effect this way. I went for large smooth roack because this is what the rock is like on the actual zig zag.

35.jpg

36.jpg

A word about the foam, wear gloves or use paddle pop sticks to touch the foam, don't ever touch it! I'm a painter by trade and I have every solvent & goo remover on the market and I can tell you the ONLY thing that gets this foam it off your skin is time.... :lol:

Made a dunny & a water tank this week...

40.jpg

41.jpg

Also made some road and advertising signs...

37.jpg

A few are in place already...

38.jpg

39.jpg

Am getting there, still got plenty to do though....

I Miss Brocky...

If you're going to have an Old Spice sign surely you need a white horse somewhere nearby. :)

The little touches like road signs make so much difference to the liveliness of a track.

Embs

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Quick scenery update....

Water tank, dunny & chook shed now in place...

42.jpg

43.jpg

From the other side

47.jpg

Got a bull now...

44.jpg

A road sign & I started adding more ground cover & bushes details...

49.jpg

Made a small cutting with flowers...

45.jpg

Added some wildflowers & a heap of animals arrived....

46.jpg

From the other end

48.jpg

I Miss Brocky...

Nice work Ira.

Roads signs look great. Everything is comming along - it takes time though, doesn't it. Some days / nights you could be working for hrs to find you've only done a small patch.

If I could make one bit of criticism... it would be to thin your livestock out a little - some areas look a little much with the animals - but up to you... more targets for everyone else :D

...And poor daisy the cows paddock could be a little larger. :) ... Sorry, just re-read it was a bull.

On the whole, it is looking like a lot of work is going in and your turning out a great WA scenic rally track.

Nice work.

Reckon the RSPCA might be after you fairly soon. Like Kirk says a bit much livestock in confined spaces. It becomes a bit of a cartoon. Which, to me, cheapens what you've done on the rest of it.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

None of the animals are glued down & I just posed them in that posi for the sake of the shot, the sheep will be spread out on the other hill & I don't know if I will glue them down as it's been more interesting to move them around so they aren't always in the same place. But yeah I don't actually have loads of scenery space anyway as I packed as much track into the space as I could :)

It's kinda hard to appreciate it just thro pics as well, it's much better in real life.

I Miss Brocky...

It's kinda hard to appreciate it just thro pics as well, it's much better in real life.

That's a fair call. Shame it's so far away.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

None of the animals are glued down & I just posed them in that posi for the sake of the shot, the sheep will be spread out on the other hill & I don't know if I will glue them down as it's been more interesting to move them around so they aren't always in the same place. But yeah I don't actually have loads of scenery space anyway as I packed as much track into the space as I could :D

Don't listen to them Ira! They're all jealous that they haven't got that much livestock in their top paddock :lol: :lol: Hope to see you Saturday!

Hey Syd. No jealousy here. There's more than a few roos lose here,...well wallabies, and a pair of goats and a couple of foxes. But you could already tell that, cos I choose this forum to hang out. :lol:;

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Hey Syd. No jealousy here. There's more than a few roos lose here,...well wallabies, and a pair of goats and a couple of foxes. But you could already tell that, cos I choose this forum to hang out. :lol:;

That's a common thread amonst all of us here isn't it!?