1965 Plymouth Barracuda

MOPARGREG

In anticipation to Phils soon to be realeased 1965 Plymouth Barracuda resin bodies here are a few liverys from back in the day. This will give you guys a bit of an idea of how they raced back then.

Hosted4.jpg

Jennings1.jpg

Jennings2.jpg

pettyrainville.jpg

petty.jpg

rb-6608-14.jpg

rb-6608-18.jpg

rb-6608-32.jpg

schalldurst.jpg

And here is Richard Pettys drag car that he raced briefly. There is quite a story behind this car & how it came to be but Ill leave it for a rainy day.

pettyjr3.jpg

Outlaw.jpg

Petty43jr.jpg

I have loads more photos on my computer of these cars. But if anyone wants anymore I can post or email more over. These are just to give you an idea. I guess if anyone is interested in getting some of these bodies let Phil know.

Thanks

Greg

Edited by MOPARDEVIL

Thanks

Greg

I almost forgot the money shot. Here is the first body out of the mould. Phil posted this in another thread of the forum so I copied it from there. Im sure Phil can fill in any details about these bodies. Hope this is ok I copied these over Phil.

med_gallery_89_904_34938.jpg

gallery_89_904_69149.jpg

Edited by MOPARDEVIL

Thanks

Greg

I must say, the family resemblence between these puppies and a certain ozzie car we knew as the AP4 valiant in NZ, indicate common father-hood.

How much difference was there?

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

I must say, the family resemblence between these puppies and a certain ozzie car we knew as the AP4 valiant in NZ, indicate common father-hood.

I think maybe you mean AP5/AP6. Theres no AP4 that I know of. The only similarities they have is the front guards & bonnet. Some shared the same motor as well - slant 6. Otherwise they are different. The biggest difference is the Plymouth Barracudas were 2 door. Unfortuneately all the Oz/NZ AP's were all 4 door.

Thanks

Greg

I think maybe you mean AP5/AP6. Theres no AP4 that I know of. The only similarities they have is the front guards & bonnet. Some shared the same motor as well - slant 6. Otherwise they are different. The biggest difference is the Plymouth Barracudas were 2 door. Unfortuneately all the Oz/NZ AP's were all 4 door.

Nope, I definitely meant an AP4, - that's what they were called here -

I came very close to buying a blueprinted 2 door fastback when I was about 19.... hummed, haaaed, vascillated for about 3 days, then it disappeared off the lot.

That said, I may be remembering wrong, because this is the 4 door version

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-247135078.htm

so I guess that front is more like some years of the AP5

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hey Mark,

This is very interesting. This is the order of Chrysler Valiants here in Australia.

R series Valiant-

blackr1.jpg

S series Valiant - (Very similar to R series but notice the boot lid & tail lights are different)

blue62s03.jpg

AP5 Valiant - (New body design)

ap5_valiant_bruce_f.jpg

AP6 Valiant - (Notice new grill same body)

Jons%20AP6%20Sedan%200408273510%20001.jpg

VE Valiant - (New body design & Wheels mag car of the year)

VEfront.jpg

VF Valiant - (New body Design)

4 Door

264e9_vf_regal_sedan.jpg

2 Door (Same body design as dodge dart but smaller motors & different grill)

VFHardtop.jpg

VG Valiant - (Same body design, New grill design, Now square headlights)

4Door

Cars-Valiant-VG-Police.jpg

2door (Same body design as dodge dart)

1.jpg

VH Valiant

4 door (new body design)

VHsedan.jpg

2door

vh2.jpg

Ill stop there but it goes into all the Chargers & some other larger body cars. They are all the Australian Chryslers up tp 1972 anyway. The first 2 door coupe that was released was the VF Valiant 1969. No other cars before were available as 2 door in Australia. That link you posted Mark is an S series & only available as 4 door. You could get 2 door version in the US. Maybe NZ got American Chryslers, im interested?

Thanks

Greg

MJK are/have done a S in 1/32, the VC is more like 65 barracuda, but you can see where the ap6 and vc got there shapes from

Oh really, I didnt know mjk did a s series. Im going to have to email them for some pics. Do they look any good? So where have you been hiding Mug, I thought you must have gotten lost in that VC of yours?

Greg

Thanks

Greg

MJK are/have done a S in 1/32, the VC is more like 65 barracuda, but you can see where the ap6 and vc got there shapes from

Oh really, I didnt know mjk did a s series. Im going to have to email them for some pics. Do they look any good? So where have you been hiding Mug, I thought you must have gotten lost in that VC of yours?

Greg

its been a while since i've been out slotting... i havn't seen a finished product. but the VC is coming along, all the body work is done. the back painting behind the front guards is done and guards are back on. so i just have to wait a week or so for a good weather day and the paint with be on!!

Ian

Greg

I had a look at their site but couldn't see anything. If you get any info please pass it on.

Alan Stubbings

Alan,

Ill shoot Neil an email now. Problem is last time I enquired about there EH body is they sell them as a complete kit only with all mjk running. You cant buy body separate. Ill confirm though. EH price was $100-$110 I think, great running gear though

Do you have a soft spot for s series?

Greg

Edited by MOPARDEVIL

Thanks

Greg

Alan,

Ill shoot Neil an email now. Problem is last time I enquired about there EH body is they sell them as a complete kit only with all mjk running. You cant buy body separate. Ill confirm though. EH price was $100-$110 I think, great running gear though

Do you have a soft spot for s series?

Greg

A small soft spot.

Alan Stubbings

MJK valiant S series is a goer but not in full production just yet Mopardevil . Should be along soon after Xmas I reckon .

MJK also have a early Jaguar 1964ish ? 4 door and a few other aussie classics. I have seen both the Val and Jag bodies and they look sweet .

Yes the Val and Jaguar are only available as a full running MJK kits but thats how it is , Can't blame them for that , its business , development costs money and there is the tax man to pay .

MJK are selling a product as a complete running item , and its a good product as far as the way they go on the track . The kits may not be for everybody as the kits need to be assembled by their new owners , bit of a novelty in todays world of mass production where people only buy it , bash it , throw it away and buy another one . Probably a bit hard for the younger slot car group to start with but anyone over 11 - 12 years of age should be able to build one easily

The kits may seem dear at a glance but I doubt many local cottage industries could ever hope to compete against the overseas high production companies like Scaley , Ninco etc - and so far we ain't seen many Aussie cars from the O/S manufacturers bar the V8 supercars with no interior , or other more common bodies like the Cortinas that can be cloned into an Aussie race car via decals.

The new Scaley Torana with see through glass and an interior is at least is giving us some hope for some decent Aussie cars in the future. In the meantime the only way to get early Aussie cars onto our tracks is to buy them from people that make them at home eg MJK or Phil K etc .

The metal chassis under the skinny EH and FJ bodies go quite well so they should run the same under the Val and Jaguar bodies I would expect - they won't beat a wide bodied slot it or Ninco Ferrari sports car but no old 1:1 holden could beat a Ferrari in the real world either so you could say the performance is true to scale as well :) , these kit cars are great raced against each other in a format of all cars / entrants running the same equipment under the body - they make for a good "club car" format . The chassis are strong enough to take all the abuse thats often handed out to club cars and you will never break the chassis where the flag drops in like a plastic chassis so they are great for the kids . I have played around with an EH that had a 22000 plafit pointer put into it. It was much quicker but being such a skinny car they are harder to drive with the extra power . The cars I have driven with the mabuchi motors (Ausrace motor) were plenty of fun and equal or better than the Aussie V8's from Scalextric in stock form . Both can be improved with some finer tuning . At least the MJK kit has a a decent interior and driver plus a decent flag , drill blank axles , alloy wheels , good tyres and true fit rear axle bushes out of the box.

I have been racing the EH and FJ cars on the MJK tracks for the best part of 2009 and can honestly say they are a tuff little unit that handle all the usual bumps and biffs plus more than a few hard slams and still keep on going . Im not sure what type of plastic MJK use to make the bodies but its as tuff as the old tupperware containers that grandma packed her home made biscuits in

I gotta add this - I know the MJK guys and could easily be accused of showing some favourtizm towards there products but I also do call a spade a spade .

Hi Steve, Thanks for the reply. I agree with everything you said above. I have 2 1/32 mjk chassis cars & am buiding a 1/25 now. I am a fan of there product, I think its just a shame there products are not more easily available in slotshops. Most slotshops just stock there tyres & thats it. Like the average Joe wouldnt even know that 1/32 ehs & fjs are available. Is there a reason why slotshops dont stock there full range?

Oh I wasn't knocking them not making the bodies available seperate, I was just letting Alan know. As I said Im a fan of the products & will get one of those eh's eventually.

Greg

Thanks

Greg

I can't be 100% sure why some slot shops don't stock the entire range of MJK products but one reason could be that the crew at MJK ( all 3 of them ) possibly don't want too many outlets as keeping up with orders could get out of hand and leave them with no time to race and enjoy slotracing themselves .

Another reason could be that the slot shops make more money selling the mainstream products and spares needed to keep RTR cars going plus they may be tied into some kind of arrangement with a manufacturer - eg Blah Blah slotcars and Co so they kinda can't sell other products that may conflict with the Blah Blah and Co sales like wheels or chassis etc . Thats only an example and a possible reason for not stocking more MJK products . :angry:

I don't know of any slot shop that is tied into any kind of commitment to any company but some shops may show some favourtism towards certian prducts or manufacturers - after all their in business to make money and they will pick what sells best for them in their shop . Also I think the greater part of mainstream slotcar racers are more into a quick fix so buy and race (RTR) is easier than buy and build ... then race .

People are short on spare time these days so time spent building a car is time they are not actually on a track racing :o

MJK valiant S series is a goer but not in full production just yet Mopardevil . Should be along soon after Xmas I reckon .

MJK also have a early Jaguar 1964ish ? 4 door and a few other aussie classics. I have seen both the Val and Jag bodies and they look sweet .

Yes the Val and Jaguar are only available as a full running MJK kits but thats how it is , Can't blame them for that , its business , development costs money and there is the tax man to pay .

I was planning to get a EH kit this year if these cars go ahead that makes 3 kits oh well :angry:

Reality what a concept

V32 member Slightly one eyed Ford fan

Trying to perfect the obscure art of Zen slot car racing

I just bought a EH kit myself on Friday night , now all I need to do it get off my backside and put it together - If I don't do my usual and leave it until the last minute before race night I may take some build n tune photos and post them . No promises though , I have a fairly full to do list .

The kit is an easy thing to assemble and the body is already molded in colour so all I really need to do is decorate the thing with the supplied decals and slop on a coat of clear - body done , glue in the mounts and assemble the axles wheels etc and its on the track . Sounds simple huh .

I wonder how the written MJK instructions will pan out ? At least the instructions won't be spanish translated into chinese then Engrish .......... I hope :nice:

Steve, I can not read Spanish or Chinese. I also have ordered 1 x Eh to replicate a car my brother had when we were kids. Give you a go when it up and runing. (will need more that tripple SUs to pass you though) Good luck with the build mate, all the best Paul. :nice:

Try Harder, if you dont fail your not trying hard enough