Need More Power

DARREN

My track is now at 70 foot with 8 Lc's,

Running 2 cars is awesome but after the 3rd car we start to lose power. Gets boring when you cant crash.

Running the normal 4 car Pb unit with the Lc's all running off the Scalie power supply 15volt. No I am not keen on running the Lc's on a diferant power supply. As I followed instructions off these page's using my old analogue power supply to run Lc's. Was good for a few days until 1 short burnt out 3 Lc's at once.

What kind of power supply can I source to give the extra grunt needed without spending big dollars?.

Does digital require something special from a power supply?

Thanks heaps guys, Yes I did read through the threads but hope there are better alternatives than a $300 Dick smith unit.

Sadly theres not a real lot you can do. Regardless of what power supply you run its limited by the powerbase. You didnt use the power supply for your analogue PB to power the LCs by any chance? Right now thats the cheapest fix.

3 stooges, 2 apologists and 1 deep endless mess.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Hi Darren

As Rick said not much choice all i can say is it does make a difference when lane changers are powered seperatley even with the scaly power supply still running the pb.The only way to stay with your current set up and basicly negate the power problems is to run with no magnets, which is an art on its own and you will probably not need all the power to run for cars

and believe me you will crash.If you do decide to up the power, it may be worth checking out costing for Ricks system , i am hopefully about to recieve my order, nudge,nudge ,wink, wink Rick if your listening,My new track is only half the size of yours but has 9 lc,s all powered from three old digital scaly power supplies. I have alot more stable power to spare using the ds power supply but still have the surge problem if a car comes of . We all understand the frustration with this problem, just depends how far your willing to go to try and eliminate it.

I would like to say wait for the new 6car pb but it may be a while from past history

Glen

;):)

www.gtlslotcaraccessories.com

Darren

We have a 110 foot SSD track with 9 LC's which are not seperately powered and we use a third party regulated power supply with variable volts 6v to 15v and max 25 amps.

We also have the old 6 car PB modified with PB Pro & Simplle H output stage which eliminates all the power issues & surges experienced when cars deslot.

Normally we race at 13.8v but when we have 6 cars with good drivers we run at 15v and with 9 power taps around the track power is excellent.

This set up costs a bit though and we did it over time so options IMHO are find an old 6 car PB and get it modified or go Scorpius, either way their is a fair investment needed but the results are great.

Cheers

Phil

Cheers

Phil

Sadly theres not a real lot you can do. Regardless of what power supply you run its limited by the powerbase. You didnt use the power supply for your analogue PB to power the LCs by any chance? Right now thats the cheapest fix.

Yes I did use the Scalextric Analogue to run my Lc's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you had another four car PB, could you add it to the track and run two cars off your original PB (throttle position 1 and 2) and then two cars off the other one (throttle position 3 and 4)?

Both PB would be regulated to 4 amps, but in parallel, they could be put at different ends of your circuit so current draw on the individual PB would be reduced. Thus giving your drivers the freedom of separate driver stations.

This is just a suggestion, and I have no idea if this could damage either PB? I also assume that it would not be possible to run 8 cars as both PB would share the same car ID signals.

Would be a real simple solution to any power issues if it did work though!

Yeah, I thought it may be too good to be true.

Since my last post I had a read about the work you guys did with Slave 6 CAR PB way back in 06. I still don't quite understand the reasons why it can't be done, especially considering early on in the piece when there were a few guys testing out the mods that had powered up their PB but with the slave lead disconnected. No reports of smoke, just that the car accelerated by itself when the second PB came on. I can't help but think that this was somehow caused by the modifications that were done to the slave PB?

But having said that, after reading those old slave threads I certainly don't doubt you, especially after all the work that was done. I guess its got something to do with the phasing of two A/C currents on one circuit, or perhaps one PB would trip if there was current draw without a generated signal coming from that PB.

I guess thats one of the reasons why scorpius is the ducks knuts, given that the track can be powered up, free of the limitations of a PB.

Edited by ozquad44

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You should be able to do a Simple H mod on that 6PB to get real Amps on the track. I keep thinking that maybe we should do a S-H for the 4PB, should be relatively easy, just S-H are not cheap.

Anyone got any trash 6PBs they want to dump in my direction? People keep asking me for them.

gallery_4291_493_4007.jpg

.............................PM me for C7042 Aux to PC cables............or Pit-Pro...

• 1 month later...
Darren

We have a 110 foot SSD track with 9 LC's which are not seperately powered and we use a third party regulated power supply with variable volts 6v to 15v and max 25 amps.

We also have the old 6 car PB modified with PB Pro & Simplle H output stage which eliminates all the power issues & surges experienced when cars deslot.

Normally we race at 13.8v but when we have 6 cars with good drivers we run at 15v and with 9 power taps around the track power is excellent.

This set up costs a bit though and we did it over time so options IMHO are find an old 6 car PB and get it modified or go Scorpius, either way their is a fair investment needed but the results are great.

Cheers

Phil

Hi ,what is a power tap? Can you run power to other parts of track? if so how do you do it?

Cheers gno67

POWERTAP INFO

Checkout the link from slotforum it should help with power taps

I just solder mine to the lugs but be careful not to melt your track

The idea of power taps is to ensure power is evenly spread through out the track and doesnt have to go all the way around the track to get to the other side.

Cheers

Glen

www.gtlslotcaraccessories.com