Sign in to follow this  
Yngwie

Converting Your Mates

Hello guys. I am on holidays at the moment and have a house full of kids (mine and other peoples) running around as I type this. The dads dropped off their kids, saw the track downstairs, had a few laps and "seemed" to enjoy themselves.

Ok, now to the point of my question. Has anybody here successfully converted over any of their mates to become real hardened slot heads? Now, I am not talking of the average guy who will come when invited but someone akin to your own slot inclinations? I myself must say that I have not even come close. Most of my mates love it when they come over but sometimes I get the feeling they are looking at me and thinking "What kind of weirdo likes playing with toy cars that much?".

I don't know of anybody who has truly converted the heathen so I thought I would throw it out there to further realise my own shortcomings in this department!!! <_<:lol:;):lol: :lol:

Edited by Yngwie

Like you mate I have not come close. I almost had my brother in law buy a car to bring around to race, but his wife (my sister) pulled him up.

So once I get the track re-built in it's new home then I reckon I'll just have the odd visitor rather than a collection of racers dropping in to visit.

I am as fruitless as you.

Apparently the "slot-gene" is a recessive DNA characteristic, and found in only a small percentage of the population.

Many of my friends look at each other with worried glances whenever the subject comes up, turn away, try not to appear to be swallowing large laughs, have quiet conversations in the corner while shaking their heads and appearing DEEPLY concerned about my mental state and so on......

Walks upright Unaided  *  Ties Own Shoelaces  *  Can Mispronounce Own Name In Five Languages  *  Mostly Aims Rattle Cans Away from Self
 My Track Oakland Raceway V2     Our Club  HMBRC     

Just the 8 yo kid from across the road, he's always pestering me to play slotcars.

he's getting a set from santa this xmas i hear.

Got 1 mate hooked, we bought flexi cars and race at WSMCR but since then he has turned most of his attention to SCX nascars cause they look the part, take a good beating and he is more competitive while racing them.

Supposed to be taking a "Virgin racer" with me tomorrow night to race my spare GT1... Should be interesting to say the least, Time will tell if he catches the bug!

I'm gonna give you an engine low to the ground... extra thick oil pan to cut the wind from underneath you. It'll give you thirty or forty more horsepower. I'm gonna give you a fuel line that'll hold an extra gallon of gas. I'm gonna shave half an inch off you and shape you like a bullet. I'll get you primed, painted and weighed, and you'll be ready to go out on that racetrack. Hear me? You're gonna be perfect!

Harry Hogge (Days of Thunder)

Can't claim to have converted anyone, however, I have succeeded in returning someone to the fold. Well... no that's probably a bit of a stretch. I've succeeded in getting the daughter of an ol' slothead to nag her dad into building a new track. Does that count for anything?

Have had a couple of visitors return for a second session. One may have promise, however his wife could be problematic. We've already stolen him for one Sunday every month with archery. The slotcar thing might be pushing our luck. Would probably have more hope of getting him hooked if I was able to distract his missus with girly stuff.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Well Yngwie, Binga who bought your track was a convert and Littleslot was rejuvenated and my future son in law was rejuvenated. The other 4 that we race with every friday night with are converts

that rarely miss a night, so we usually have 7 or 8 people at anyone time. The secret to doing this the last 2 years is Run what ya brung and no pedantic rules and plenty of laughing and joke telling.

You have to keep everyone racing and having a good time or people lose interest, like this friday we have booked Armchair for 2 hrs and we are having a full roll up and everyone has coughed there $$

up already, so I think we are a great group that race 52 times a year and our ages are 18 to 51 as I am the oldest there. My secret is to keep it light and no pedantic rules or nitpicking as it is slotcars

and supposed to be fun and not RACING FOR A SHEEP STATION. :angry::huh::lol::lol:

RUBBINS RACING SO HARDEN UP

I've got one mate who has bought his own car and chipped it to race with and wants to build his own digital set up but it has to wait to the new house is built.

Have a whole junior footy team after 2 race nights this season who want their own digital set up for Christmas, that means a few not so impressed parents now I'm thinking. (although the team thank you gift for coaching bought me a new grand stand for the track... now what do i need next year?) :angry:

Cheers

Phil