Pioneer Bullitt Mustang

manimmal

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G'day Chris,

Hmmm unfortunately that is a known problem from the early production runs and I think it has been rectified in the current production run. Cold comfort I know. There were issues with the wheel, it wasnt as per the Stang in the movie. So production got pulled and they had to make a new mould or rejig it or something along those lines. In the mean time the person in charge of axles and gear trains was screaming that he needed to know the axle length for production purposes, the person in charge of the wheel said he couldnt specify the length needed until the new wheel casting was complete. In the end I think a guesstimate must have been done to meet production the schedule. The axle turned out to be too short :huh:

For any sort of serious racing I tend to use Al rims. For the club racer cars that are planned I hope that Jules goes with the Al rims. Hes been asking a selection of club racers some of their dos and donts for cars. Al rims was on my YES must have list if he wants to produce a decent club racer. Try the MJK scaly mustang/camaro tyres they are a perfect fit. Jules is looking at getting feedback on these tyres on plastic and wooden tracks. Do you carry MJK down there in Dapto? If so give them a try and see what they go like compared to the std tyres.

Thanks rick, will give it a try after the series is over. Out the box racing is exactly that, no tire upgrades until after the series is finished. Alex does carry MJK at Dapto. Jules is going to send some axels our way soon anyway.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Gazza

Looks like you got one of the 'dodgy' axles I made up myself in China. I pressed a few together to show the factory ladies how not to make the axles. I went down to the canteen for a cup of coffee and 30 mins later when I got back the axles had gone. I ran down to the production facility but it was too late; the axles had been used. Darn. One has shown up in Sweden, one in the UK and the other....well I guess you have it.

Sounds like a tall story, eh? No not really, it kinda happened like that.

New axle, complete, is what you need. PM me your details and a fresh one will be on it's way to you, and super quick.

Many apologies. It'll all be OK when you get a tight one, don't worry.

Jules

Hi Pioneer,

Thanks for a great car love it runs better than my oo7 dbs sp edition can’t wait for the Charger, Any plans for any other movie related cars?

Are rear axles with mags available from armchair I today had to re glue my mags and cog, one mag had a sm crack in it as a result I was getting wheel spin and the cog was spinning free as well, Now running ok but would like to get a new spare. Also when I put the body back on I noticed the mag on the side with the cog was slightly off set to the wheel arch to the other is this normal?

Digital 007 set with 5m extra track and 007 sp edition cars set, red DBS, Bullitt mustang

SFI did a Pioneer vs Scaly Camaro vs SCX Cuda test with mags. No contest Pioneer first and daylight second. Even fitted with after market tyres the Scaly and SCX were no contest.

Ive run non mag and a fully sorted Scaly Camaro which Ive had for 3 years did a 5.25s and my Pioneer fastback did a 5.18s lap. Not a lot in it so it should be a good addition to any T/A class.

cheers

rick1776

Hello X-WING,

Good to hear you have resolved the spinning wheel issue. Armchair Racer do have a limited supply of complete rear axles but I would rather send you one out direct that I know will be perfect. PM me your mailing address and I get one off to you. Mention the actual model you have and whether is has dark grey, silver, gold or light grey spokes on those Torq Thrust AR wheels.

Rob

You should find, most have already, that we tuned these Mustangs to fight a fair race with established brands. It's easy to make a faster slot car - simple motor power and gearing can take care of most speed requirements if the chassis will take it. We took the view that it was best to alter certain characteristics of the model so that, on any given day with a good trigger finger, the Pioneer would prevail. Equally, if the person racing the Pioneer is not such a skilled racer then the Scaley or the SCX could win. If you were to do all the benchmark track testing yourself, you should find the Pioneer to be in the winning position. We found, in all our testing, that outright speed was not really the key. Quite simply, does the model stay in the slot better than the other? That was the key area of concern. Gearing and motors can be fixed 'off the shelf'.

The most difficult thing (for all brands to get right) is pleasing the mag fans and the no-mag users with one product. Ideally, for obvious reasons, the chassis would be different for each application. As the mission for Pioneer was to create a brand with mass appeal, there are trade-offs in the design to enable most buyers to be happy. Right now if you want more mag you can add them and if you want to go magless there are plenty of forum posters that have demonstrated that the Pioneer cars will hold their own (and still have dynamic braking) when you take the mag out.

Catch up with you all again soon. Bye for now,

Jules

Out of curiosity how do the pioneer perform against the scaley camaros and mustangs given the slight change in gearing and motor?

Rob, beware, some (most from what i've heard) of the new pioneer mustangs have a dud motor, mine certainly does, and will need a scaly motor transplant to get it anywhere near the speed of the scaley mustangs and camaros, i've got ninco classics that give the pioneer a run for. :lol:

it's nice looking, so it will make a good shelf queen.

Hello espsix,

You said:

"some (most from what i've heard) of the new pioneer mustangs have a dud motor, mine certainly does, and will need a scaly motor transplant to get it anywhere near the speed of the scaley mustangs and camaros, i've got ninco classics that give the pioneer a run for"

I really need to know where you heard that "most Pioneers have a dud motor". That's a very serious flaw as far as I am concerned, if it is true. We have sent out 4 replacement motors to Australia and one to USA. Out of the February production run of 2163 models I would find it hard to imagine that it is a disaster - undesirable, I grant you, but not worthy of a total condemnation of the entire brand.

If you wish to have your model as more than a shelf queen, let's get you up and running. If you PM me, I'll make sure all is well with your model and then you can beat your Scaley Mustangs and Camaros.

Thanks,

Jules

Hey Espsix I dont think its the motors as such. I think the "problem" might be the very tight tolerance brass bushes in the rear end mated up with a plastic chassis. I took out my axle assembly and honed the chassis where the bushes sit with a 5mm drill bit. Do this by hand. Refit the axle. I kept honing until the bearings were a slightly loose fit. That way you get a gimble effect. I then used loctite 290 wickin to lock the bushes in. That way you can get a perfectly aligned set of bearings.

cheers

rick1776

Hi Jules,

Thanks for your promt response, its great to see a manufacturer supporting his products on the forum as actively as you do.

Thanks Rick and Brett for your replies too fellas.

Guess I have to buy one to see, I cant wait for the camaros to come out.

Regards

Rob

Any one know is there a light mod kit you can put in the stang as i'd love to have running head and tail lights.

I have thought about cutting them out of my DBS but I thought i'd ask if there was a kit 1st

Digital 007 set with 5m extra track and 007 sp edition cars set, red DBS, Bullitt mustang