Best Way To Glue Slot It Bearings?

peter m

Well my suspicious mind says if the bearings can swivel then they can rotate.

On some of my slotit cars I have glued the bearings and on others I haven't....laziness I suppose.

Only once have I seen the bearing holder in the pod so loose that the bearing was rotating.

The slotit axles are so smooth and straight that if you dont glue the bearing it doesn't really matter.

When I have glued the bearings I make sure everything is oil free.Then I use superglue via a toothpick to the various slots in the bearing holder.

Of course you must have the axle in place to ensure alignment of the bearings.

Be careful not to glue the axle into the bearing by using too much glue!!!

regards

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

I had much the same question myself - but for bearings in general rather than slot.it only - 5 minute araldite and superglue will work but it's kinda permanenet if you want to change something later - you'd probably break the chassis. Is there another good option (eg Kwik grip of shoe goo) that will do the job but let you remove it later to do mods?

Ive always used loctite 290. Its a thread fastner and specificcaly made for this kind of application. You can break the seal if you want. Any bearing supplier shold have it. Probably at Bunning as well but be prepared to pay through the nose.

http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93808_290EN.pdf

cheers

rick1776

I would be careful with Loctite as I don't think it is plastic compatible. It may make it all brittle and flake away. I tried it on body posts and they all disintegrated!

I don't glue Slot.it bearings as so what if they spin? It would be very low rpm spinning unless the axle was bindingto the bearing for some reason. I have found the pod screws can warp the pod enough that a glued bearing may bind, but the clever gimbal system avoids this.

I had much the same question myself - but for bearings in general rather than slot.it only - 5 minute araldite and superglue will work but it's kinda permanenet if you want to change something later - you'd probably break the chassis. Is there another good option (eg Kwik grip of shoe goo) that will do the job but let you remove it later to do mods?

Actually 5 min Araldite is far from permanent. Although it gives a secure grip it also peals away without leaving a trace if you get an edge under the glue and hey presto! It peals away like a skin without damaging the car or components.

JUST A THOUGHT!!!

What about what they used to do to retain slipper bearings in car engines. Drill a small hole in the bearing cradle, drill a shallow matching hole in the bearing and insert a suitable piece of piano wire or brass rod to keep the two components in a loving relationship..

Edited by Bulsara

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto.

My poor Krell!

After a million years of shining sanity...

they could hardly have understood what power was destroying them.

I would be careful with Loctite as I don't think it is plastic compatible. It may make it all brittle and flake away. I tried it on body posts and they all disintegrated!

I don't glue Slot.it bearings as so what if they spin? It would be very low rpm spinning unless the axle was bindingto the bearing for some reason. I have found the pod screws can warp the pod enough that a glued bearing may bind, but the clever gimbal system avoids this.

Ive used loctite for 4 years on all my cars. Yet to have a problem. And yes slotit gimble setups do spin, Ive seen the results of a spinning bearing in the gimble housing.

cheers

rick1776

Ive always used loctite 290. Its a thread fastner and specificcaly made for this kind of application. You can break the seal if you want. Any bearing supplier shold have it. Probably at Bunning as well but be prepared to pay through the nose.

http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93808_290EN.pdf

Hi Rick,

Have you also used locktite to glue the motor in place?

Cheers

Steve