Podded Vs Nonpodded

rick1776

Very interesting.

We have been doing some experimental work with flat chassis for the IMSA cars. Protos of a standard no-pod were actually nicer to drive and faster than the podded proto we got together.

I'm not suggesting this was a strictly controlled experiment but, in the hands of the testers, a well balanced chassis with sticky tyres was as good as it needed to be.

For all the time it took to mess around 'tuning' and 'tweaking' the pod set up, we all agreed the no-pod made much more sense. Point and squirt.

Of course, some allowance must be made for the fact that we may not have set the pod car up for optimum performance but in the end the no-pod was less hassle and more laps.

Be interesting to see if there is a 50/50 split on favourite type. It helps development to gather in as many opinions as possible.

Jules

Hmmmm not sure if thats an open invitation to suggest "chassis improvements" or not?? :huh:

OK I'll dip in with my 2 cents worth. I like a tripod set up so I have to either buff my front tyreas down or re-engineer the front axle height. An adjsutable front axle height set up would be the dog's bollicks for me. Heres your chance to put your ideas into a chassis. Unless Im mistaken I think Jules was fishing. :) So what works for you and would you like it incorporated into a std factory issued chassis? Whoosh talk about getting in on the ground floor with mods.

cheers

rick1776

On Ninco here we have 106/107 with the pod. Found this on another forum:

NSR Mosler again dominated the :DANSI Italian Championship for 4th year!!!!

Out of 107 drivers:

105 were driving the NSR Mosler!!!!

1 Slot.it McLaren

1 Avant Slot Peugeot

Mosler.jpg

Source: SF

Edited by aussieslotter

Smoke, mirrors and obsolescence. It’s a jungle out there.

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Im not sure if we can attribute that result to pod vs non pod?? Doesnt slotit have a pod?

NSR have made a lot of concessions to achieve a good magnetic racer. Scale is not errrr 1/32. We have a car that has minimal if any ground clearance. It has a soft chassis than bends under magnetic load etc. On the non mag tracks we race on it is fast but not the fastest car in the club.

cheers

rick1776

Depends how you look at it. I see it out of all the models that suited that class that could raced, only one was non podded. A reasonable indication surely?

Most European Slot companies that design for European racing, design for Ninco tracks and non mag, not timber. You think NSR couldnt build one for timber? :nice:

And dont believe the motor mag hype too much, sure its as fact but anything within rules is fair for all :lol:

Which got me to thinking........

So I just swapped a NSR Shark 22K for a Slot.it motor (Orange bell end, I think its a 21500??). Using magnet marshal with NSR GT40 chassis, with NSR motor 54g downforce and Slot.it motor 55g downforce using the same chassis, (of course will vary from motor to motor). Stick both motors to a fridge, the Slot.it motor seems harder to pull off the fridge.

Try it yourself at home :lol:

Edited by aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Maybe podded has its place. Bumpy plastic mag tracks. Im sure they rule the roost as the Italian championship has shown. That is not the case on "real non mag" wood. Im sure NSR could build a car to suit wood, why not. Would it have a pod though??

The last part has me confused, what point are you trying to make? You swapped the motors and both had about the same mag downforce. What were you trying to prove? I missed the point? Both generate about the same additional downforce.

The mag cars usually weigh about 80-85 grams. And your getting 54 g of mag downforce assist in your non mag car. Thats an extra 67% traction for no weight penalty. I think to call that sort of performance advantage Ninco non mag racing its a bit of a oxymoron.

Anyway we digress, Im after mods (pod excluded) that give a perfomance advanatge. What has worked for you?

cheers

rick1776

NSR have made a lot of concessions to achieve a good magnetic racer.

I just didnt agree with this point you made :nice:

Not sure what concessions were made, Id say none..... nor is it any more magnetic than some other brands, apparently the Slot.it flat 6 is a heavy mag motor. So my test was just to show NSR Shark motor no more magnetic than say Slot.it :lol:

Maybe we could do a chart of all the popular motors.

Trouble is customer demand makes these companies supply these motors.

So back to the NSR pod, yes they would use a pod on timber, I cant see any disadvantages using a pod other than it adds to the cost.

And wheel track being 1:30 scale not 1:32 isnt going to be the holy grail why NSRs dominate, I say its the brilliant engineering of the FLOATING pod (as opposed just a pod tightly screwed in) and their brilliant air tyres.

I reckon there is more to the floating pod than meets the eye. I wonder if any mechanical engineers could cast a light on why?

Aussieslotter

www.scorpiuswireless.com

Dont get me wrong the NSR is a purpose built bullet for the type of racing it has been designed for. Nothing wrong with that concept. The major concession is scale. Its supposed to be 1/32 isnt it?? As an example of who much gain is to be had lets say that two cars are absolutely identical in weight, weight distribution, motor, tyres etc. Lets say that one car has a guide pivot to rear bumber length of 120mm. The other "identical" car isnt 1/32 scale in length but closer to say 1/34, its length is 113mm. Lets say the weight is still evenly distributed, everything else is still identical, all of a sudden the slightly shorter car has relatively speaking a polar mass that is 12% reduced. It will want to change and go around corners with a lot less effort.

Its like saying that 54 g downforce isnt a big deal, when the car only weighs 80 g, it is a big deal.

OK sorry I now understand your test regards motors. Yep OK both made about 54 g downforce. Put both motors in the slotit and measure the downforce, is it more the same or less than 54g??

As sure as day follows night the new generation of "magnetic assist" motors will go down the same route as G7 motors. The can will disappear and be replaced with a strap. A few grams in weight will be saved and the magnetic field will be very leaky. The arm diameter will shrink and the magnets will now be placed vertically rather than horizontally, yet the overall motor package will be the same. Im seriously wondering why no one has clued onto that concept yet. Remember you heard it here first. Only a matter of time before it happens. These cars will now be able to take any corner FLAT out. Will the pod have contributed to any of that gain?? Maybe but probably not??

cheers

rick1776

Agreed about 1/32, problem is its legal. Wouldnt mind rules start appearing soon to prevent this.

002.jpg

Jordi from JP Slot in Barcelona sent me a few cans to try out just the other day. They are specifically non mag effect motors for the purists! Check out this flat can. They make oxigen free copper braid too.

Dropped NSR and Slot.it motors into a Slot.it, the Slot. it can 55g, NSR can 50g, and with std Scaley 18K can 47g(in Slot it 312 chassis, no lid on), gives me a rough idea, not very scientific, Im not sure the NSR cans are overly magnetic??? Note not a lot of difference between Scaley 18K and NSR, only 3g, the Slot.it 8g.

On your last point if there is extra downforce from motor mag then it hinders the NSR floating pod from doing its thing anyway me thinks.....

www.scorpiuswireless.com