What Controller?

Ember

I built my first Diode controller about 15 years ago for running wing cars.

I should still have the diagram some where. Could also see if you can find a Slotworks one to convert.

I am sure a few people should be able to find a diagram also. :alcohol:

Edited by kalbfellp

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I built my first Diode controller about 15 years ago for running wing cars.

I am sure a few people should be able to find a diagram also. :D

I have used a diode controller, but don't seem to think that they have the sensitivity to work well, with 1/32 cars.

I think they work well for Grp12 and above (amperages).

Below is a link to the one that I use in the South City Race group.

http://www.jaygeeracing.com/files/Build_Yo...ronic_Choke.pdf - (I dont use the relay or mush buttons)

I use Parma handles and Turbo trigger on a plastic frame, with VERO-Board as the contact strip.

Link to the main site. http://www.jaygeeracing.com/products_linear200.html

Dennis

Diode controllers must work reasonably well. Professor Motor made many thousands of them up till about 2 years ago.

The fastest driver at our club uses the model with the little screws to short out various of them to tune the response for each car.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Munter . . . that looks suspiciously like a custom built one-off "cheese-man-chine" . . . . . .

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Is that a thumb operated custom built diode controller?

cheers

DM

Yep mate. -- - dunno where munter's gone, probably in his garage again building his group 12s for the tin-pan nationals in October :D:D:D

The shot was taken at our local track, probably at the July Enduro; so I'm pretty sure it's one built by Keith Cheeseman from Wellington metal chassis club.

The guys from there are also great supporters and participants in our enduros.

He had the plan from somewhere, can't remember where he got it, he'd been building it of and on fr a couple of years, finally got around to finishing it.

This was the first time we'd seen it come out to fight.

Is that a thumb operated custom built diode controller?

cheers

DM

Yep mate. -- - dunno where munter's gone, probably in his garage again building his group 12s for the tin-pan nationals in October :D:D:D

The shot was taken at our local track, probably at the July Enduro; so I'm pretty sure it's one built by Keith Cheeseman from Wellington metal chassis club.

The guys from there are also great supporters and participants in our enduros.

He had the plan from somewhere, can't remember where he got it, he'd been building it of and on fr a couple of years, finally got around to finishing it.

This was the first time we'd seen it come out to fight.

That is certainly different to one I built my is the same shape as a Parma to hold with a trigger and is a transistor style. I will take a picture and post it later on.

West Australian Slot Car Racing Group

web: www.waslotcarracinggroup.com

email: syd.miller@outlook.com scott.kendal@bigpond.com

mob: Syd 0413 020 421 or Chris 0435086304

If that is a diode controller then what is the transistor mounted on the side for, a choke?

The builder in question has been sent a "please explain" :D:D:D

If that is a diode controller then what is the transistor mounted on the side for, a choke?

P9090063.jpg

P9090064.jpg

P9090062.jpg

Alright smartie I went straight to the second picture can you guess where the transistor is on mine?????????

P9090062.jpg

That looks like a lethal weapon! Think I'll stick to the PMs :lol:

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Syd: Rhys said you were a big person you need to be to hols that heat sink,fan and blast relay. It is similar to Rhys's old perspex controller, did he get it out to show you?

PS Dropped some resin off to him last night to do some casting for you.

Edited by kalbfellp

Syd: Rhys said you were a big person you need to be to hols that heat sink,fan and blast relay. It is similar to Rhys's old perspex controller, did he get it out to show you?

PS Dropped some resin off to him last night to do some casting for you.

Actually it is not too bad as far as weight goes. No I don't remeber if I saw Rhy's controller but I did have a drive on his track. I would have loved to come racing the Tuesday night but we already had reservations down at Port Arthur.

Ive re read my way through this thread again, I don't want to add to the argument but more seek clarity on what a electronic controller really is. I haven't seen it defined anywhere clearly, if I was to guess I'm looking for a micro processor somewhere in the handle. But looking around I think its more simple than that, just the fact you have a few diodes or resistors on a circuit board constitutes a electronic controller?

Regards

Rob

Ive re read my way through this thread again, I don't want to add to the argument but more seek clarity on what a electronic controller really is. I haven't seen it defined anywhere clearly, if I was to guess I'm looking for a micro processor somewhere in the handle. But looking around I think its more simple than that, just the fact you have a few diodes or resistors on a circuit board constitutes a electronic controller?

An electronic controller uses a different method of regulating the motor. Rather than varying the voltage to the motor it pulses the voltage on and off at high frequency (called pulse width modulation) so the motor sees less voltage. This allows the use of transisterised circuits and allows a lot more flexability to program the response of the trigger to the response of the motor. It does introduce high frquency harmonics into the circuit so you will often hear a high pitch ringing when you use this type of controller.

Electronic controller is any controller that does not actually use a resistor to control the voltage change to the car. They can use,Diodes,transistors.Mosfets etc to control the "voltage" to the motor.
Mine has both resistors and transistors +2 potentiometers but no diodes

Electronic controller is any controller that does not actually use a resistor to control the voltage change to the car. They can use,Diodes,transistors.Mosfets etc to control the "voltage" to the motor.
Mine has both resistors and transistor +2 potentiometers but no diodes :rolleyes:

I played with a PM this weekend over a Davids place, the one thing I can't get past (yet) is the ease of pulling the trigger. I like to feel the resistance of the resistor controllers. Just way to smooth and hard to tell how far back you are.. itty bitty twitch will move the trigger heaps. Don't drink too much coffee before racing with one of them. Oh, and the size, couldn't believe how much bigger they are.

So now I am torn. Parma or PM. Should i just try and get used to the trigger? Will i get used to the trigger? not sure.

I played with a PM this weekend over a Davids place, the one thing I can't get past (yet) is the ease of pulling the trigger. I like to feel the resistance of the resistor controllers. Just way to smooth and hard to tell how far back you are.. itty bitty twitch will move the trigger heaps. Don't drink too much coffee before racing with one of them. Oh, and the size, couldn't believe how much bigger they are.

So now I am torn. Parma or PM. Should i just try and get used to the trigger? Will i get used to the trigger? not sure.

The PM like mine can be tuned to suit the car, the 1st car you used Saturday was an NC-6 at 12 v, the sensitivity can be adjusted taking away the off/on feel...i have both 25ohm Parma, 45ohm Parma and the PM so next time your around try them all back to back.

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build

The PM like mine can be tuned to suit the car, the 1st car you used Saturday was an NC-6 at 12 v, the sensitivity can be adjusted taking away the off/on feel...i have both 25ohm Parma, 45ohm Parma and the PM so next time your around try them all back to back.

More then the sensitivity rather then physical feel of pulling the trigger. To me it felt like the difference between bending 24 guage wire and bending a 10 penny nail

Having only used set controllers or Parma controllers I wasn't sure about the size/weight of the electronic type controllers but I didn't really notice it when I used electronic controllers the other night, unfortunately I was too busy checking out how cars went on the magnabraid track to notice the controller - but my son enjoyed using it and wasn't worried about the size - that is what got me thinking that rather than buying another Parma I should buy a EC instead

I notice some electronic controllers use the Parma grips anyway. For me I either sell the Parmas - find an upgrade kit to replace what is in them - or keep them as spare and buy 2 EC controllers - I think what I would like is a simplified (and cheaper) slot.it controller

cheers

DM

I was a little dumbfounded by the size when the PMs rolled up. Like DM I'd not experience a large variety of controllers, only set once, the new variety trigger and the old variety plunger ones from Scaley, and the AFX ones. I have quite small hands (no doubt there's jokes to be made there) and at first glance was concerned that I wouldn't handle the new controllers. But the PMs are light and surprisingly comfortable to hold. I'm glad I made the decision I did, and I can upgrade to dial in sensitivity and brakes later if needs be.

Cheers

Embs

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

I have seen guys with Defalcos be converted to PM controllers, my Brother and Dad used a PM for the NSR enduro and were glad they had it, the light trigger was the key, no heavy spring.

Edited by Davnic74

Regard's

David

Team Phoenix

4 x Australian National Champion.

Premier Raceway Build

Gallery Raceway Build.

Heany Park Raceway Build