• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,931 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:02 PM

View Postmunter, on Nov 11 2009, 02:43 PM, said:

it's drier than a popcorn fart.
Guess its pretty dry then...
regards

two of the funniest things I have read on here in a while...

never heard of a popcorn fart...
and John your reply is priceless

DM

#42 Ember

Possible diorama queen

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,238 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 06:27 PM

View PostJohnnyfly41, on Nov 11 2009, 01:30 PM, said:

t's drier than a popcorn fart.
Johnny,
Just how dry is a popcorn fart? Is it drier than a dead dingo's donger?

Sorry, HL's question, not mine.

On that note, I think it's well past beer-o'clock.
Cheers
Embs
Computers. They'll never catch on.

Posted Image

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

#43 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 20 December 2010 - 07:18 AM

Hi.

Just finished building new 3 lane 20metre track. Apart from extra router pass needed to recess braid found braid a real treat. Hardest part was getting the 3M double sided tape around the sharper corners but braid just flowed on after that. Make sure however you do not stretch in corners as it needs to be able to expand and contract. Braid just about lays itself and will assume whatever curve is required by just gently leading it around the corners. You do need to get tape and then braid down right first time however as tape is super sticky. Also make sure you have tape completely smooth (single layer with no lumps) as these will create lump in braid. If you get any of these it is best to just cut out that section of tape and insert a small piece in gap. Have found braid provides absolutely smooth power all around the track. Because our track is built to split into two pieces it has power taps at all the joins but advice I had was that for up to 80 feet a single tap for each lane was sufficient.

Think it is a bit of a no brainer but certainly braid was not cheap. I cost us about $300 for our track for tape and braid but we think it was worth it.

We used 6mm braid purchased from SlotsNZ.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#44 mattie4270

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 11:15 PM

Good stuff!!!Any photos?

#45 charlesx

V8 Supercar Driver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:51 AM

Hi Mattie - Have a look under NZ tracks - new 3 lane at New Plymouth.

Regards

Chas Le Breton

#46 slots

Sanity is over-rated

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,565 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

Chas, a tip for next time. Use contact glue and the lump problem under the braid doesn't happen. Pics?
Stu

Old racers race harder

#47 kalbfellp

Formula 1 Driver

• Auslotters
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,855 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:12 AM

After having tape on the first Shelmore track for 10 years and putting up with the constant hassles, I Am glad I invested in braid 3 years ago for the "new" track. No problems at all.

#48 Burglar

Kart Driver

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

Our track in Sturt runs well with braid and blackboard paint. Another glossier surface was tried on the recommendation of another racer but it was a disaster. Has been painted over again with blackboard paint but some issues with that still and needs more coats to cover. When it is humid the glossy parts still showing through the blackboard get greasy.

A nice blackboard surface has just the right grip/slide effect in my opinion. I've tried racing on ferradore and didn't like it much. Not nice if you land on your roof either.

In the Adelaide climate I'd say blackboard/braid is a good combo and when you find something that works stick with it. Having lived in Canberra I'd say the climate there is about the same but a little drier. Not sure how the dry July cold would effect the surface. Weather seems to be changing these days anyway ... one of the wettest years I remember
Posted Image

#49 Garry J

Expat Cockroach

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 28 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

A little FYI many of you may have already heard.

There is no Magnatech braid available, other than what's in stock at retailers, and won't be for the forseeable future. Jim is having issues with a supplier demanding he order very large quantities of material which he cannot do. As Jim doesn't seem to be answering emails at the moment it's difficult to know what's happening but fingers crossed he gets it sorted.

Cheers,

Garry J

Posted Image

Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users