Podded Vs Nonpodded

rick1776

I have noticed a trend that the more grip the tires have, the less podded cars have an advantage. This seems to be because more stiffness is required as grip increases? On my track with silicones the pods have ended up tightened so there is no movement. On rubber tires when setting up Pitlane3's car I had 1/4 turn. I put silicones on my proxy Ascari and it is pretty much as quick as my Slot.its. As a corollary to that when you are able to use lead you need a tighter pod as the lead allows weight transfer.

The reason pods work is exactly the same as metal chassis. They encourage weight transfer of the body and chassis as the car corners, stops and accelerates. As corner speeds increase with higher grip tires such as silicones there is a lot of weight transfer anyway. A loose pod just throws too violently when the car is right on the limit, especially in esses and kicks the bum round. Don't know how many of you are involved in full sclae car racing but a similar rule of thumb prevails, more grip the stiffer the suspension.

If I had to set up a "no holds barred" proxy car on non silicone tires it would be podded. I had Pitlane's car going as fast as my Ascari in near stock form!

I disagree with the comment about 90% tires. Give everybody the same tires, there would still be some cars way faster. Again it is all in getting everything straight, true and perpindicular. It has taken me a while to work out how it is done with plastic but it can be done, albeit with less acuracy then metal! My Ascari is far from right and I am making a decent chassis to try as a GT car for our upcoming nationals as it shows promise because we use silicones.

Edited by kennedyrd

Im keen to put the debate to rest. Lets throw in podded and non podded cars for next years proxy. Im happy to go non podded and see how it stacks up against the podded cars.

As long as your allowed to run "old" Ortmmans, remember, tyres are 80%, the rest is just the right "go fast" parts!! ;)

Im happy to go with the other 20% of building a proxy car so control tyres hold no fear for me. :) Happy to have podded and non podded together as well. :o It would settle down all the voices in my head that keep saying podded are better....no theyre not.... ;):P

cheers

rick1776

Im happy to go with the other 20% of building a proxy car so control tyres hold no fear for me. :) Happy to have podded and non podded together as well. :) It would settle down all the voices in my head that keep saying podded are better....no theyre not.... :P:o

Maybe there's a quicker way of settling this issue. At the end of DUPR 2009, have a straight shootout between the top 5 of Podded and the top 5 of Non-Podded, with points awarded for:

1st .......... 10 points

2nd ......... 9

3rd .......... 8

4th ......... 7

5th ......... 6

6th ......... 5

7th ......... 4

8th ......... 3

9th ......... 2

10th........ 1

The group with the highest total points is the winner. Quick and easy. Just needs someone to volunteer to organise and run the shootout. ;) Have it on one track only to save time.

And if the points are tied, the group with the car in 1st place will be the winner. :)

Edited by chenglaw

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

On my ttrack, with very similiar conditions (maybe a tad colder with the podded cars), the non pods were on average 2 to 3 tenths quicker...

Fastest time in the podded group was a 6.448, non pod was 5.959.... not done with Manimmall's Aston either.. ;)

"When you're racing, it's life, anything that happens before or after is just waiting"

Our proxy looked like a benefit for Ninco Ascaris, with Moslers as the bridesmaids......

None of the podded cars got close, and that was with rubber tyres, less grip......

But after the proxy, kennedy-rd gave me Pitlane's McLaren fitted with P6s? from memory, and I ran it 1/10th a lap faster than Kennedy'rds Ascari, and nearly a full second faster than original...... so who knows how much is in the setup, and how much is the pod and how much is the tyres.

Screwing up the pod tight in a Slot.it is about the hearest we can get to comparing like with like really, and our guys have gained about 1/10th a lap on a 5.7 second lap by tightening the pods with silicons.

We're now down to around 5.8 for 75 feet - 13 feet a second for the Slot.it Nissan and Macca, and the Ascari is close behind as a totally different sort of chassis and weight balance - non-podded...

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Howdy

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents worth

I'll go with the KISS principle . I think everyone is thinking too hard . Pod chassis's are primarily for magnet racing in my opinion . Whenever I set up a slot.it I'll nip the front pod screws up so the chassis flexes a little but deffinatley not loose .

As mentioned earlier , the faster you go and the better your tyres are working the stiffer your chassis needs to be . Pod cars don't allow any weight tranfer to the outside wheels when the chassis is all loose and floppy .

Regards to all

Paul

We're now down to around 5.8 for 75 feet - 13 feet a second for the Slot.it Nissan and Macca

Make that 5.5seconds with a slightly loose pod in my Mclaren and the same with slightly firm pod in my Nissan????

I cant figure this out at all!!!!?????

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

We're now down to around 5.8 for 75 feet - 13 feet a second for the Slot.it Nissan and Macca

Make that 5.5seconds with a slightly loose pod in my Mclaren and the same with slightly firm pod in my Nissan????

Isn't "slightlly loose" the same as "slighty firm"? Both are not done up tight, so should be a little bit loose :)

Lim

I enjoy racing. Winning or losing is secondary.

5.8 for the 75 feet is correct. The 5.5's are for the inside lane which is only 21m.

Podded vs non podded. Pointless to compare box stock cars as they are so poorly assembled that it is more a case of who bothers assembling them best. That is why NSR's have a good reputation but in my experience a Slot.it if built to the same standards is every bit as good if not better.

You people who think non-podded is better. Have a good close look at a Horky, BSP, Lee Gilbert or in fact any Open eurosport chassis, 1/24th or 1/32nd.( They will set you back $180 US and a hell of a lot of R&D goes into them.) Show me one that looks or works like a "non podded" chassis!

Proxy racing is a poor gauge as you seem to have made the non-podded the "prestige" class with the result the best builders do not bother with them. This seems a bit backward in my view as it is the reverse in metal chassis where rules are made to exclude 3 piece vs 2 piece chassis (i.e. non podded vs podded) in the lower classes.

Lastly floppy chassis allow lots of weight transfer on initial turn in as body and "pans" are thrown to the side. Likewise they are thrown forward on decelertion and back on acceleration.

Edited by kennedyrd

Ah, I was quoting 75 feet - black lane. :) I don't think anyone's done 5.7s yet on the 75 foot lane.

Recovering Lapsed Slot Addict :ph34r:  *  Custodian of many used screws (mostly loose :rolleyes:)  *  Total kidder  *  Companion of other delusional slot addicts :lol:  

Hi Kenne

Seems your a bit confused . A floppy loose pod chassis is completely different from a solid metal chassis with a floating pan ( or similar ).

A floating pan used to move weight on braking , turning and accelerating still rests onto a solid core chassis that is stiff and transfers the weight to the outside wheel/tyres .

That's why loose screws with a floating body work so well. Same thing

In my experience , loose motor pods like SCX etc. and to some extent slot.it let the body and front of the chassis roll too much which causes the guide to roll and deslot on hard cornering , particularly corner entry .

Additionally the pod can tramp indipendant to the chassis on acceleration . Keep in mind even with movment and even spings in the case of slot.it , that their are no shock absorbers to controll this tramp when your tyre are working well . that's why we have Ninco hop . The boxer motors over power the chassis wich is too soft . Brace the motor to the axle bushes and Ninco are transformed .

Slot.it should be assessed seperatley because their bodies are so flat and wide so the tendancy to roll is less , but tyre traction is still compromised with a loose pod .

I also find it strange having a discussion about Pod / Nopod ( assuming we are talking plastic RTR ) and being compared to eurpean metal chassis champions who the what the like wowwww????????????????????

Would be nice to know what sort of cars most of you are running ?

Paul

Ah, I was quoting 75 feet - black lane. :lol: I don't think anyone's done 5.7s yet on the 75 foot lane.

I was aware of that, which is why I raised that. Nobody has done a 5.5 on black in a race but I suspect we will soon as I have in practice and Mike is onto the same trick!

Hi Kenne

Seems your a bit confused . A floppy loose pod chassis is completely different from a solid metal chassis with a floating pan ( or similar ).

A floating pan used to move weight on braking , turning and accelerating still rests onto a solid core chassis that is stiff and transfers the weight to the outside wheel/tyres .

That's why loose screws with a floating body work so well. Same thing

In my experience , loose motor pods like SCX etc. and to some extent slot.it let the body and front of the chassis roll too much which causes the guide to roll and deslot on hard cornering , particularly corner entry .

Additionally the pod can tramp indipendant to the chassis on acceleration . Keep in mind even with movment and even spings in the case of slot.it , that their are no shock absorbers to controll this tramp when your tyre are working well . that's why we have Ninco hop . The boxer motors over power the chassis wich is too soft . Brace the motor to the axle bushes and Ninco are transformed .

Slot.it should be assessed seperatley because their bodies are so flat and wide so the tendancy to roll is less , but tyre traction is still compromised with a loose pod .

I also find it strange having a discussion about Pod / Nopod ( assuming we are talking plastic RTR ) and being compared to eurpean metal chassis champions who the what the like wowwww????????????????????

Would be nice to know what sort of cars most of you are running ?

Paul

No I am not confused. I don't see it as very different in principal as long as the pod is not ridiculously floppy.

I use a Slot it whenever rules allow it,but did not do so in the NZPR because I heard that the "non-podded" category is the one that is taken seriously so built the Ninco Ascari. In practice that wasn't the case so shall build a Slot.it if rules allow it. We all use Slot.its whenever rules allow, and it is not just cause Mark has the agency! I own NSR's and Ninco's that fit the rules but never find them as good.

For 1/24th I use Horky's for Open and G12