Digital Curious Old School Non Conformist.

slotpig

howdy you guys in digital world! i'm thinking of stepping into the new world order and was after some tips and advice on building a timber digital track. first of all, what would be the easiest/ most applicable system to use(scaley scx carrera and so on.) what is scorpious? are there any examples of this around adelaide (south) i could look at? any help would be appreciated. cheers.

a good day racing is still better than a bad day racing.

Hi Slotpig

Nobody is ready for a Routed digital system yet, but the more that are built the more interest will be shown.

I am one of the few who are interested in this concept and have done a track already but have now sold it to make room for another, Digital, not sure, it maybe that a combo of both is best at present.

I for one think that doing a routed track that flows is the best you could hope for, being able to drop in on a car in a corner entry and then being able to blast around the outside of a car from behind because you were able to hold corner speed is true racing, one thing that guys need to learn though is braking, otherwise you get damaged cars.

This is why I am contemplaiting a 1/24 scale digital track, its new and totally different, with this in mind you have to go with Scorpius, its a total package that you can't overlook.

check my track build here Gold Coast Raceway

You will see that I used scalelxtric digital but only because scorpius was still a dream at the time I built my track.

My advise for anyone is:

Scorpius for the system.

Peco switchs for the LC's.

Make your own flippers from Aliminium, they are conductuive.

Build a flowing track that is realy fast, you only need 4 LC's per 20M of track to make it a good track, more is better but of corse will cost more.

I wish there was more interest in digital as it IS the future, just ask any kid or teen that has used both, my 10 Year old son and his buddy next door would spend hours on the track, and the first thing I asked them when planning the next track was what kind and they both answered DIGITAL

So, slotpig Ilook forward to your routed digital track build and if at any time I can help just PM me.

Paul

Edited by Paul NZ

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Cheers for the advice. it is all taken on board. its an interesting evolution of our sport. im a traditionalist at heart but without creativity we wouldnt have slotties at all. would it be correct to say that the major obstacle for digital to overcome is the limited placement options for lane change positioning and the use of only 2 lanes? I agree thet a different driving style is in order and it isnt that different to full scale racing, which also takes time to master.mmm. i can see me spending a lot of nights laying in bed thinking about this.

a good day racing is still better than a bad day racing.

Slotpig, you can put as many lanes as you like but, if you follow my build you will see the changes that happened, like the reduction from 3 lanes on the main finish straight down to two, simply because just as in real scale racing you don't use that lane, two is enough for up to @ 8 cars I believe, any more than that and you will need a shed about 9x12 to get a track big enough to run them.

Happy dreaming.

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Yeah,from my own personal experience,you need a big track to get the best from digital.

I feel that to race 8 cars in a cohesive fashion on 2 lanes you need lap times in the order of 15 seconds. Any less than that and it gets a bit too hectic.

Also radius 1 corners dont really work and you have to be carefull to allow enough run off for cars that are crashing,so they dont take out other cars travelling on a different section of track..either that or high wall track barriers.

I personally prefer 2 lanes..not interested in multi lane digital.

My big track is on a table 8 meters by 3.7 meters and I am able to have a 2 lane track with some long straights and 15 sec lap times. So it handles 8 fast cars on 13.8 volts with up to 250grams of magnetic down force pretty easily..

If you run no mag and lower track voltage,you could achieve a higher lap time and sensible 8 car racing on a smaller circuit.

There's a lot to consider,but i find digital racing a far more interesting and exciting form of slot racing than one car one lane racing.

Phil