Norton Hill

lenny broke

Howdy Guys

Here's what I've been working on recently.

I was originally going to be a replica of the ROC track at Wembly but somehow I finished up with this..

P1010505.jpg

P1010503.jpg

P1010502.jpg

P1010504.jpg

As it was going to be flat I opted for some 12 MDF that I had in the shed at the time. If I was to do it again I think I would go for 9mm.

The tunnel lining is a bit of 90 mm storm water pipe slit down the side and stretched over the timber.

More to come in the coming weeks

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

I can see why 9mm would be a better option.

What I cant see is how you will route that ....freehand?

Looking promising though,well done.

regards

ps the torana shelf looks good too!

Edited by munter

John Warren

Slotcars are my preferred reality

Looks to be routed already... what a great start!

An awesome looking track, will keep you on your toes!

Where are you planning to put the driver's stations?

Need lots of pics with this one!

Cheers,

Dick

SCMR build thread

Woodbrook Valley build thread

"A Man's home is his castle, but his garage is his sanctuary!"

Hi All

Thanks for the nice comments. I'm planning on it being a tarmac stage so am looking at using blackboard paint rather than ferrodore. it's a bit of an experiment for the race circuit (Westmere Park)

To Ember... Yes I hope it will be fun I've based the theme on some favourite road sections here in the Adelaide hills.

To Phil... yep its one 1200x2400mm sheet originally intended for race circuit but I decided to reduce the size of that so had a spare sheet. The tunnel I thought would be different. I remember going through one under the free-way once on a rally back when I competed.

To Munter... The slot was routed into the flat sheet then I cut out and made the elevations. The slot is a bit hard to see in the pics I must admit but if you look closley you can see where I made a few "revisions" I used a plastic strip made by icon plastics, but not the elusive 10x20 from Bunnings. It's 35 mm wide to which I glued some rawl plug posts and screw down to the sheet. It worked OK but the liquid nails didn't hold too well on some of the tighter bends. I'll have to come up with a better system to attach the post next time.

The "shelf" is my late Dads old girl. 3 on the tree, bench seat and 4 wheel drum brakes!!! I learnt to drive in that car. I haven't got the heart to get rid of it at present. I'm hoping to restore it one day..

To Knoath... The drivers panel will be situated about where the ladder is behind in the pic. there are a couple of blind spots behind the elevated bit if I locate it elsewhere.

Hi Manic, Haven't seen youaround much lately owyagoin? I thought I would make the corners a bit more open. It's more fun getting it sideways and not clouting embankments all the time.

I'm busy with theatre commitments for a week or two now so update will be a bit sparse I'm afraid.

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Lookin good Al , but when its finished and running you will have no excuses if your next rally proxy car is running at the back of the field :o:lol:

What makes you say that it finished 10th overall and 7th in the non womp womp category. ;)

Are you going to run some sort of digital affair so you can run match races as they do with the ROC racing? Could make for a fine night's racing..

As I'm a bit of a luddite digital wasn't ever considered. I was originally going to do two lanes routed close together and opened out on a couple of straight bits for overtaking. but I went off the ROC idea and now its only a single lane rally stage. Still should be fun but

Given you're not going to have to mess about changing lanes I'd imagine it's be easy to attach..

..of course I haven't tried it and am so practical it'd probably make me cry.

looks fun anyhow!

Captain's log: We are enroute to some planet whose name I cannot pronounce to do something really complicated that I don't understand.

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

A bit of an update on the track

I've finished the timberwork and repairing some "revisions. I'm using this track as a test bed for some building and landscaping techniques so there is some different ways of doing things.

P1010531.jpg

I stretched some chicken wire over the gaps and holes and sprayed some gap filler expanding foam over the wire. This hasn't worked out as well as I thought as it doesn't go as far as I thought and it can be a bit expensive if you have large areas to fill.

I cut back the excess with a key hole saw and used the off-cut on the section on the right of the uphill section gluing it down with liquid nails adhesive. The section on the left, after cutting of the excess I sanded back and will fill the bubble holes with a smear of spack filler.

P1010533.jpg

The section around the hairpin is how it looks after spraying onto the chicken wire and has expanded. I have yet to cut it back. I am going to try another section usinga 3mm offcut of MDF as a base and spray some foam onto that.

I'm going to have a look through the track section of the forum to study up on other techniques used for land scaping and try them out on other sections.

More updates when I get a round tuit...........They don't stock them at Bunnings but maybe Mitre10 have them. :o

Cheers Alan

Edited by lenny broke

• 1 month later...

Here's some more pics with a bit more "earthworks" done

the first 2 are views on either side of the tunnel

P1010643.jpg

P1010640.jpg

these 2 are view from either end of table

P1010642.jpg

P1010641.jpg

more pics in a couple of weeks

Alan

Edited by lenny broke

Looks like you finished up using expanding foam all the way through. It's good and quick, but kind of expensive. How many cans did you finish up going through?

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

hi Ember

2 of the smaller ones and 1 large can not sure what sizes they are.

Yes it was more expensive than I would have liked but the foam is fairly easy to work with and you can shape it how you want.

The off cuts can be re-used in other areas by glueing down with liquid nails and sanding bck to shape

I intend to use a water based wood putty to finish off the final shape of the hills and fill the bubble holes then give it a coat of scenery paint.

Cheers Alan

The can tally's not too bad. I think I've used that much on my track and it was only used in a few spots. It's definitely dream to work with. Looks like you can probably trim some off from the underside where it's come thru the chook wire.

Fun times ahead.

Computers. They'll never catch on.

_AM_sig_zps00cdfd1a.jpg

Tiny Tyers Targa - The build saga continues - Aging wood - A recipe for staining wood - Don't take a fence - Step by step paling fence - An old shed for my new cars - Wooden garage under construction

Looking good Alan, the more rally tracks i see the more i want to make one...

There has to be 6-7 cans of expanding foam there...where would we be without it? :P

David, You could have one built by Christmas, then we can add a round in Vic for the 09/10 series ;);):)

Alan, looking the goods Mate :o

Edited by Ontheflipside

I can't believe that I wanted to grow up

Mount Salt Panorama Track Combined Road and Rally Track built near Salt Pan Creek Padstow - Sydney

A quick build rally track

2017 WRP Round 11 at Mt Salt Panorama

https://i128.photobu...zpss7sqiwfj.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Here's some update photos of the rally track.

Most of the earthworks have been done now , I used some water based wood putty of differeng brands that I rendered over the shaped expanding foam. the remainder of the earthworks will be done with foam offcuts glue down to the baord and rendered. I've also done the copper taping as well

We had a near 40 degree day last week and it got through that day in the shed with minimal lifting that I was able to burnish back down. We had a couple more fairly warm days this week and had no lifting of the tape. The first coat of blackboard paint has gone down with a second one scheduled for later this week.

I also insatled the Clipsal plug for the controller wiring will happen next week fingers crossed.

Regards Alan

P1020025.jpg

P1020023.jpg

P1020024.jpg

Edited by lenny broke