Toronto Worlds Progress And Results

Sunday 26 July

Ferrari F430 Concours

1. Jan Roestorf (Aussie Aussie Aussie!)

2. Louise Valkenborgh (Belgium)

3. Frank Devuono (Canada)

ALMS and GT judging is being done now.

Edited by Tim Tyler

13 times world wanking champion. Not proud of it.

ALMS and GT Concours

1. Nick de Wachter

2. Timmy Tyler (Aussie Aussie Aussie!)

3. Jan Roestorf (Aussie Aussie Aussie!)

Well done Tim and Jan. :lol:

Hope the racing goes as good.

Any chance of sharing some photo's from the event? :huh:

:(

Steve K.

You asked for photos, you got 'em!

IMG_2871.JPG

Jan Roestorf F430 Concours Winner

IMG_2874.JPG

First three cars in F430 Concours

IMG_2887.JPG

ALMS Concours Winner Nick De Wachter

IMG_2888.JPG

ALMS Concours 2nd place Timmy Tyler

IMG_2889.JPG

ALMS Concours 3rd Place Jan Roestorf

Monday 27 July - Individual Sprint Championship

Ted Howes Memorial Warm-up Race

1. Chuck Ingram - 56.29 laps

2. Gabriel Inabnit - 55.82

3. Terry Dalton - 54.58

4. Simon Wakelin - 54.10

5. Jan Roestorf - 54.00

6. Mark Campbell - 53.72

7. Glenn Wennerberg - 53.67

8. Franco DeVuono - 52.90

9. Victor Czerwony - 51.90

10. Louise Valkenbourgh - 51.29

11. Roger Schmitt - 51.26

12. Javier Checa Snr - 50.70

13. Nick de Wachter - 49.60

14. Peter Czerwony - 49.24

15. Bernard Moses - 48.56

16. Borge Haug - 48.10

17. Laura Schmitt - 46.71

18. Tim Snyder - 42.40

19. Javier Checa Jnr - 41.69

20. Mike Stahl - 33.60

21. Marcel Oosterling - 14.00

22. Bob Bainborough - 13.00

23. Colins Schmitt - 5.00

Wish you all the best over there Tim & Jan for the racing. Congrats with the concours, Your cars look sensational.

Cleveland

Resized to 83% (was 1006 x 146) - Click image to enlarge

Monday 27 July - Individual Sprint Championship

Ted Howes Memorial Warm-up Race

1. Chuck Ingram - 56.29 laps

2. Gabriel Inabnit - 55.82

3. Terry Dalton - 54.58

4. Simon Wakelin - 54.10

5. Jan Roestorf - 54.00

6. Mark Campbell - 53.72

7. Glenn Wennerberg - 53.67

8. Franco DeVuono - 52.90

9. Victor Czerwony - 51.90

10. Louise Valkenbourgh - 51.29

11. Roger Schmitt - 51.26

12. Javier Checa Snr - 50.70

13. Nick de Wachter - 49.60

14. Peter Czerwony - 49.24

15. Bernard Moses - 48.56

16. Borge Haug - 48.10

17. Laura Schmitt - 46.71

18. Tim Snyder - 42.40

19. Javier Checa Jnr - 41.69

20. Mike Stahl - 33.60

21. Marcel Oosterling - 14.00

22. Bob Bainborough - 13.00

23. Colins Schmitt - 5.00

Congratulations to Simon Wakelin and Jan Roestorf for there run in the warm up race

Barry

Nice cars guys, they deserve the concorse placings!

0.10 between you after more than 50 laps....must be close racing, I know how good both of you are, so the comp must be good

Go hard and good luck with the main events

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Full results of the main race are here. In summary:

1. Børge Haug 295.99

2. Gabriel Inäbnit 295.59

3. Glenn Wennerberg 289.38

4. Javier Checa sr 288.34

5. "Javi" Checa Lozano 287.01

6. Simon Wakelin 283.29

7. Franco Devuano 272.17

8. Mark Campbell 262.29

13. Jan Roestorf

Tuesday 28 July - Canadian Grand Prix

Le Mans Prototypes

1. Chris Radisich/Tim Tyler 288.66 laps

2. Jan Roestorf/Simon Wakelin 283.40

3. Gabe Inabnit/ Marcel Oosterling 274.68

4. Nick de Wachter/Mike Stahl 270.67

5. Roger Schmitt/Checa Jnr 246.10

6. Mustang Haug/Glen Wennerberg 228.69

Grand Touring

1. Moses/Devuono 272.72 laps

2. Czerwony/Czerwony 268.52

3. Schmitt/Schmitt 268.29

4. Valkenbourgh/Campbell/Checa Sr 267.04

5. Seren/Barat/Smith 234.87

6. Snyder/Bainborough 180.28

7. Dalton/Ingram 94.00

Full results of the main race are here. In summary:

1. Børge Haug 295.99

2. Gabriel Inäbnit 295.59

3. Glenn Wennerberg 289.38

4. Javier Checa sr 288.34

5. "Javi" Checa Lozano 287.01

6. Simon Wakelin 283.29

7. Franco Devuano 272.17

8. Mark Campbell 262.29

13. Jan Roestorf

Having just read the article detailing the full results it appears the so called "Worlds" were hardly a complete success with competitor numbers and nations represented being way down on expectation. Last minute technical rule changes effectively ruled out several of the bigger names making the results even more questionable as to a "World" title event. I just don't know how the 1/24th guys can travel across the world to race cars going to all that expense and time just to have some technical rules placed upon them at the very last moment to effectively spoil the occasion. The author of Tim's link compared overall laps completed by this years competitors to previous years results but to be fair track conditions on any given year can alter the results dramatically so comparing the results like that is hardly objective or accurate. What was telling was the number of competitors compared to previous years meetings. Scrolling down on Tim's link are other articles that made the Worlds seem almost minuscule in comparison. I wonder if the same event was held in Europe if competitor numbers would have been far greater.

Congratulations to Jan, Simon and Tim from Australia for achieving the results you did. I take my hat off to you all and I know your efforts would have been made more worthwhile if the event was more successful. Safe travels home and see you soon.

Regards,

Glen

Thanks guys,

All your wishes are much appreciated. Simon and I are on a steep learning curve here and so far Tim and Chris have been great helping to fill us in.

Unfortunately the TC for the F430's produced some controvercy and so perhaps resulted in a final without some of the real contenders. I suppose that's how the cookie crumbles.

My own result in the F430's is entirely my own fault. First the body came loose during the quarters whilst running 5th - I choose to fix it and still made the B semi. Then during that, leading after the 5th segment, I started the 6th segment watching another car. Believe it or not I got away with that and continue to lead. However at the start of the second last segment I did exactly the same thing again - this time breaking my car.

The moral of the story, getting too old and too many red F430's..........

Cheers

Jan

'The older I get the faster I was.'

World Endurance Championship

Results at 1/3 distance

1. Scmitt/Checa Jr 1239.30

2. Stahl/deWachter 1227.89

3. Inabnit/Oosterling 1227.86

4. Tyler/Radisich 1221.07

5. Roestorf/Wakelin 1066.10

6. Haug/Wnnerberg 482.00

Our car is a turd...

There has in my memory never been a completely controversy free technical control for this type of racing. However some webpages and some people have very rigid ways of seeing what is the absolute truth and what is not.

This is the rule used if a car does not comply.:

6.8. SANCTIONS & PENALTIES ON FERRARI F430 CARS

(a) UNAUTHORISED TYRE DRESSING- Unless specifically allowed by the Race Direction, any form of tyre dressing on handout rear wheels results in disqualification. On mounting the rear wheels, under the yes of the race direction only.

(:lol: ON TYRE CHANGING - New wheels must be mounted in racing time. The competitor can re-enter their car only after inspection. Non respect of tyre change - obliged at least at mid-race - results in loss of 10 per cent of achieved laps.

© ON ILLEGAL BODIES - If a car is presented at scrutineering, having not respected all rules concerning the body, it is at the race director's discretion how many ballast should be applied to the body at the highest point under the front bonnet.

(d) SANDING- Any sanding or dremeling of the body or the wheel arches will be sanctioned by minimum 2 x 15 grams extra weight to be glued into the highest point of the bonnet and highest point of the boot. If the dremeling was hidden and well intended to skirt the rules, the racer will be disqualified.

I wish I where in Toronto, to meet some of the people that I have only met on the web or trough e-mails. And be part of the promotion of model car racing. The racing looks quite close and again I am sure they have fun.

The fact also remains that with less controversy and less mud throwing this spring, the event would have had many more racers present. Economic crisis or not. However some has had a very large interest in sabotaging Mark Campbell and this event.

Hopefully the event will still generate interest in 1/24 Model Car Racing in North America, and help build on the friendship and co-operation that this hobby is all about.

Edited by Paal Hanson

Cheers,

Paal Hanson

www.oeps-info.com

www.scaleracing.dk

Tuesday 28 July - Canadian Grand Prix

Le Mans Prototypes

1. Chris Radisich/Tim Tyler 288.66 laps

2. Jan Roestorf/Simon Wakelin 283.40

3. Gabe Inabnit/ Marcel Oosterling 274.68

4. Nick de Wachter/Mike Stahl 270.67

5. Roger Schmitt/Checa Jnr 246.10

6. Mustang Haug/Glen Wennerberg 228.69

Grand Touring

1. Moses/Devuono 272.72 laps

2. Czerwony/Czerwony 268.52

3. Schmitt/Schmitt 268.29

4. Valkenbourgh/Campbell/Checa Sr 267.04

5. Seren/Barat/Smith 234.87

6. Snyder/Bainborough 180.28

7. Dalton/Ingram 94.00

Well done to the Kiwi/Aussie/SA connection, you guys have done well no matter what the outcome!

if you have a look at a few of the european sites you will see mopre people at those mid week meetings in a local town!

Good to see all the hard body 1/24 cars though, you can't beat their detail!

Paul NZ - Scale with Detail!

Narangba Club Local

Gold Coast Raceway 09

Final Results of GT Car World Endurance Championship

1. 3199.20 - Laura Schmitt/Colin Schmitt

2. 3188.71 - Bernie Moses/Franco DeVuono

3. 3139.77 - Terry Dalton/Chuck Ingram

4. 3113.47 - Louise Valkenbourgh/Mark Campbell/Javier Checa

5. 2906.26 - Francesco Seren/Enrico Baratella/Allan Smith

6. 2631.18 - Tim Snyder/Bob Bainborough

7. 911.11 - Victor Czerwony/Peter Czerwony

LMP World Endurance Championship Final Results

1. 3718.8 - Javi Checa/Roger Schmitt

2. 3714.2 - Mike Stahl/Nick de Wachter

3. 3690.1 - Gabriel Inäbnit/Marcel Oosterling

4. 3529.1 - Chris Radisich/Tim Tyler

5. 3357.2 - Jan Roestorf/Simon Wakelin

6. 482.0 - Børge Haug/Glenn Wennerberg

Overall World Endurance Championship Final Results

1. 3718.8 - Javi Checa/Roger Schmitt

2. 3714.2 - Mike Stahl/Nick de Wachter

3. 3690.1 - Gabriel Inäbnit/Marcel Oosterling

4. 3529.1 - Chris Radisich/Tim Tyler

5. 3357.2 - Jan Roestorf/Simon Wakelin

6. 3199.20 - Laura Schmitt/Colin Schmitt

7. 3188.71 - Bernie Moses/Franco DeVuono

8. 3139.77 - Terry Dalton/Chuck Ingram

9. 3113.47 - Louise Valkenbourgh/Mark Campbell/Javier Checa

10. 2906.26 - Francesco Seren/Enrico Baratella/Allan Smith

11. 2631.18 - Tim Snyder/Bob Bainborough

12. 911.11 - Victor Czerwony/Peter Czerwony

13. 482.0 - Børge Haug/Glenn Wennerberg

Our car remained a turd... (Actually it was our handout motor that was the problem. The car itself handled beautifully, but our motor went off in the first hour and that was the end of it for us).

Edited by Tim Tyler

Hi guys,

In the end the racing was great, we've learned and sometimes even taught a little. My summary of the event thus far (the 2009 PanAm is still to come) would be:

- Technical, read Paal Hanson's post and couple that with the part usage of IMCA rules and a very strict TC controller (who by the way, never changed any rules at the last minute other than trying to include two guys that simply built the wrong F430 kit).

- Race control - I have never seen a more draconian style. Anti racer, anti marshall and anti team. The whole IMCA and NDW saga played itself out all of the time in poor form.

- Handout tyres and motors - absolute crap, especially the motors (Simon and I used 3, one of which could not even be mounted on the motor mount due to no tread in the can - just a hole). However, to be fair not all the laps we lost were due to that. We also suffered a partially broken guide blade that caused numerous other peripheral problems.

The obvious effort of Mark Campbell will unfortunately get burried under the circumstances.

Cheers

Jan Roestorf

BRM Porsche Handout Race

1. 262.11 - Chris Radisich

2. 256.62 - Tim Tyler

3. 255.40 - Nick de Wachter

4. 252.75 - Javier Checa Jnr

5. 252.32 - Mike Stahl

6. 251.42 - Simon Wakelin

7. 247.38 - Jan Roestorf

8. 246.90 - Franco DeVuono

9. 245.90 - Borge Haug

10. 245.10 - Chuck Ingram

11. 243.41 - Glenn Wennerberg

12. 242.45 - Colin Schmitt

13. 240.45 - Marcel Oosterling

14. 232.42 - Alan Friend

15. 231.87 - Javier Checa Snr

16. 231.66 - Gabriel Inabnit

17. 230.60 - Bernard Moses

18. 229.23 - Peter Czerwony

19. 227.13 - Terry Dalton

20. 225.48 - Louise Valkenbourgh

21. 220.93 - Laura Schmitt

22. 196.00 - Tim Snyder

23. 156.00 - Roger Schmitt

24. 143.00 - Victor Czerwony

Race was run very professionally and very fairly by the BRM guys. The cars were all very well prepared, and beautiful custom made bodies.

Hiya Tim,

firstly, thanks very much for the postings and reports dude, and secondly, really well done to you all mate, You, Chris, Jan and Simon have done awesomely well.. Hope you having as good a time as possibly considering, and best of luck for the remaining events dude.. Well done once again..

Send regards to Chris and Jan.

Cheers

Big Al

Boys and their Toys...

Congrats from me too, to my "old" mate Jan, what a great effort in both concours and the racing.

Thanks to Tim and others who added their comments, so we could follow the progress.

Hi guys

As I sit in the lounge at JFK and wait to board for Johannesburg (enroute home eventually by Saturday) the Toronto experience is replaying itself in my mind.

First I wish to express my dissappointment that certain elements have used my expressed view on the race control for their own benefit whilst not quoting my appreciation for Mark Campbell. Mark has done what very few people would have done under the circumstances - he stuck with his undertaking and saw it through. Yes, the participation was down. Yes, the best model car racers in the world were not in Toronto. And yes, the race schedule was not adhered to. But on balance, the event bonded 23 racers together and made them all defiant in their resolve not to become embroiled in the powerplay trying to split world slotracing. As a group we all enjoyed our experience and we all respected each others abilities. Our interests in sprint racing is alive and well, but so is our endurance racing interests. How we will all find a way to test our skills on international level in these two diciplines will depend on how we choose to participate in future. Endurance racing will no doubt grow under the WEC brand whilst the sprint racing will continue under the IMCA brand. Unfortunately neither of these will offer enough encouragement on their own for racers from far away lands.

With this dilemma in mind it spells a logic that the Aussies, Japanese, Kiwi's and South Africans will have to support the PanPacific events - the PEC and the APC and JPC. The PEC will launch together with trhe 2009 APC in November in Melbourne and the APC itself will build on the foundation laid earlier this year in Japan. The APC/JPC will concentrate on the sprint and team-sprint racing with the spec Plafit 1700G and 2800J F1 chassis, whilst the PEC will run with the spec Plafit 1700 series (excluding SLP-1 and 2 as these are not available outside Europe). At the PEC in 2010, based on a survey to be conducted, a sprint race using the new Scale Auto Porsche 997 body and commercially available chassis's are being seen as a possibility.

What am I saying? The Australian efforts should be to support the APC/JPC and the PEC as these internationally connected races will be our cheapest option and will give more of us a chance to compete at international level.

........and back to the Toronto experience. When one goes to an international event the amount of knowledge and experience you get to share in is enormous. From the lateral thinking about chassis setup to the use of everyday chemicals to improve chassis component performance, to running in motors and fine tuning tyres - it is amazing how much you learn. The driving techniques are not that different from our own (Qld) where the preservation of each others bodies are paramount. The night section in the enduro was fantastic and will definately be replicated in the PEC. The adherance to published rules (which I believe was the first time for some of the top racers in Toronto) is of paramount importance and Lars demonstrated that it can be enforced no matter who the racer was. The only bit that needs to be added to the rules side of things is to include an entry with a signed undertaking by the racer to comply to the rules or face exclusion. After the F430 experience only minor problems were found with all other classes as racers and teams knew that they would not get away with bending the rules. Afterall, if a rules clearly state that a certain part is compulsory - why should TC pass a car without that part. Or if a rule stated that a certain part may not be modified, why should TC pass a car with that part being modified. Every racer who first argued that a part was lost, or that it was impossible to fit a body without a modification, or that they came all that way to race and should - either found the part, replaced the part OR did not race. Therefor my recommendation to the organisers of and the tech controllers of the APC/JPC and PEC is to stick with the published rules and not to allow any deviation. However, I hasten to add; please convene a short drivers briefing before motor handout to brief all drivers on what TC will target in particular (be it performance or cosmetic). Obviously some rules tend to get 'bent' more that others and these can then very specifically be attended to. The other bit of advice I can contribute based on the Toronto experience (both worked well), hand out a tech sheet that needs to be completed by each driver/team and handed in with the car. On this sheet all the vitals are listed and teams/drivers can verify the correctness of the car themselves against the stated requirements. Also the use of tape for cleaning tyres as the only method should be mandatory. Make drivers/team mates change cars during lane changes and allow adjustment of braids - or anything that can be done without any tools, clothes or chemicals (no peppermint chewing or gupe on fingers either) during lane changes. Don't ever seek to penalise marshalls or drivers or teams as it leaves an extremely bad taste when race control is bent on accusing and penalising (many times it was totally unfounded in Toronto). If a marshal is not up to the job - simply replace him, not everyone is a good marshal. If a driver does something bad, track call and address the problem in a manner to resolve the situation without lap penalties. (This cost a deserving winning team their win in Toronto for a farcical error in marshalling). Afterall, the racing results should be based on racing not on marshalling and I cannot believe anyone ever deliberately mismarshalling another car). In Toronto the lane numbers without lane colours could be blamed for mismarshalling as much as anything else. Even the excess epoxy paint bleeding from under the track-braid and packing up on the guide blade could be contributed to cars getting stuck in the slots - that was not driver error. See my point..........

Anyway, Simon and I have learned from our participation and will positively contribute to the organisation of future events. This way we can help to improve our racing and the experience thereof for all new-comers and 'old'hands alike.

See ya all around a slotcar track somewhere (even if it is a MTT - what a bad world standard).

Cheers

Jan

Edited by Springbok Racer